Hollowpoints

Gunaholic

What is better for self defense: a hollowpoint that stays together or one that the jacket separates from the bullet?

stubby

If the jacket remains intact with the core, it will hopefully have enough mass to penetrate that enlarged front end further into the target.:rolleyes:

355sigfan

Bullets that fragment with enough omph to cause secondary missles like the Remington 357 mag load do have greater stopping power. As long as you get the desired penetration frangmentation is no beg dea. Is only a problem if it causes the load not to make it as deep as you want it to go.
PAT

CaesarI

Varies

The Remington Golden Saber is known to lose its jacket. It is usually not lust until after the bullet has already penetrated 12" this is not necessarily bad. The bullet has crushed a lot of tissue with the expanded diameter of the jacket, and losing it in the last few inches of penetration doesn't hurt very much.

Since you didn't ask about bullets fragmenting, but only losing their jackets, I won't address that issue.

As long as the bullet penetrates between 12.5 and 16" of calibrated ballistic gelatin, its probably A-OK.

-Morgan

355sigfan

A hollow point that stays together is better.

END

Depends on what you want. Fragibles like Magsafe and quik shock work very well for stopping power but not so good for barrier penetration.

The INS picked 9 inches as a minimum number and that sounds good by me.

PAT

RWK

Pat . . .

At one point -- and maybe currently, too -- the FBI's criteria was twelve inches of penetration, which appears considerably more certain than nine inches does. In any event, no frangible projectile (such as MagSafe) will get close to either requirement, which is precisely why I believe frangible rounds are not suitable for defense.

Jesse H

stupid question...

when they state x inches of penetration, is that in gelatin tests? Are these tests supposed to be somewhat similar in density as humans, because 15" of penetration would blow right thru me.

lonegunman

JesseH:

It is not necessarily true that 15 inches of penetration will "blow right thru" anybody.

In the real world, your target is not going to be standing still straight in front of you like a target at the range. He will likely be moving, or behind barriers. You may be shooting at an odd angle.

You need all the penetration you can get to make up for this. Not long ago, I saw a man who was shot thru the left arm, left flank, left chest, and the bullet ultimately lodged in the right side of his neck. The only significant injury that he sustained occurred in the neck, after no less than 12 inches of penetration.

Overpenetration does not exist. Other people here will argue this point, and say that overpenetration jeopardized innocent bystanders. Not true, I believe.

Dont forget the rules of gun safety. If it is unsafe to take a shot because of "overpenetration" concerns, then it is still unsafe to take that shot even if your round is an under-penetrator.

Spackler

Fifteen inches of penetration might go through you if it was a full frontal shot, but that would probably never happen in a gunfight.

Ideally I would pick a round with at least 12" penetration in calibrated gelatin, no matter the caliber.

355sigfan

At one point -- and maybe currently, too -- the FBI's criteria was twelve inches of penetration
END

Still is But the INS requirment is 9 inches as a min and guess who gets in more gun fights. Yep the INS. I think they know what they are talking about.

SNIP
(Fifteen inches of penetration might go through you if it was a full frontal shot, but that would probably never happen in a gunfight)

What do all the gun fighters you know take on a side profile dueling post. I don't think so the front on shot is the most common.
PAT

Spackler

PAT -

I don't agree. I won't bother to argue it, though. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. I'll just say that overpenetration is not a concern of mine. And I carry 180gr Gold Dots.

Dave T

sigfan,

On this post and others, you have made much of the fact that INS gets in more gunfights than other agencies/orginizations. Given INS's performance tract record in recent times (concerning their job of tracking and controlling aliens) I find it hard to consider them the experts on anything.

When I was my 400 man Departments firearms instructor, LAPD and NYPD (just to name two expamples) were in more gunfights than we were. I did not go to them to determine what our firearms training should be. I researched the subject, made my own determination and planned what was at the time the most advanced and innovative training program in our state.

INS says 9" of penatration is enough. Who in (explative deleated) cares?

355sigfan

INS says 9" of penatration is enough. Who in (explative deleated) cares?
END

I say the say about the FBI's 12.
PAT

Erik

Frangibles aren't, by definition, hollowpoints.

Penetration needs to be sufficient, regardless of what depth it is.

But, over-penetration is better than under-penetration.