Hollow tail flat point ?s

Northrider

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had some Berry's 9mm 124g HTFP for sale. I looked in a closeby reloading manual and they had 124g loads, but not for hollow tail. My question is: can I use the load data for same weight bullet even though it won't be hollow tail?
My other ?, will the hollow tail make much difference in accuracy compared to regular tail bullets?

Thanks in advance.

SL1

I don't have the bullets at issue, but think you are talking about plated bullets that are swaged with a SLIGHTLY indented base. That makes the SLIGHTLY longer than a bullet of the same weight and shape that has a flat base, but also gives a little more powder space than calculated for a bullet with a flat base that is seated to the same depth. In overall effect, any data suitable for the plated flat based bullets of the (otherwise) same shape and weight should be fine.

Of course, getting any data for plated bullets is a bit of an issue, since their manufacturers don't develop data. So, you need to either find data for a bullet that is roughly the same length and weight or adjust data for bullet length / seating depth to reflect the bullet that you have.

SL1

serf 'rett

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14727-c11-g8-b0-p0-9mm_124gr_HBFP_1000ct.aspx

The hollow base translates into a longer bullet, which in turn gives more contact area with the barrel. More contact area should improve accuracy. In the last 2-1/2 years I've ordered over ten thousand of the Berry's Hollow Base Flat Point and Round Nose bullets. I've had no problems to date with the thousands sent down range.

You can load using data for a 124 grain bullet. Plated bullets fit between lead bullets and full metal jacket; a tad harder than lead and a tad softer than jacketed. Normal recommendation is to load these bullets using low to mid-range jacketed data; however, some of my accurate loads are approaching maximum load charge weights.

There is one possible catch to using the Berry’s Hollow Back Flat Point bullets. The bullet profile has a long bearing area and is wide toward the nose of the bullet. I could not find load data for these particular bullets when I first started loading them. When I tried to load them at the overall lengths shown in my manuals, I found that the bullet nose was coming in contact with the lands before the case mouth contacted the chamber. In essence, the cartridge was headspacing off the bullet nose instead of the case mouth. This was occurring in my Springfield XDm and I’ve read that CZ owners have experienced the same thing.

The cure is to seat the bullet deeper, which results in higher pressure. As always, start new loads at low charge weights and carefully work upward. My original COAL was 1.120”. I wanted to set the bullet back off the lands by 0.015” for developing loads in the XDm. To achieve this average setback, I had to reduce the COAL to 1.070”. Your pistol chamber will have different requirements.

FrankenMauser

Berry's Hollow Base bullets work quite well. They're especially helpful in firearms with over-size bores, where the hollow base can expand for more contact in the grooves.

Use the same data you would for any other plated bullet of the same weight and nose profile (RN / FP / etc).
If you can't find plated bullet data, use cast bullet data and work up.

Nick_C_S

Hmm, I was at Sportsmen's today too - and saw the same thing - and thought the same thing.

I didn't need 9mm bullets, so I passed.

Bought a cast iron skillet instead :p

Northrider

Thanks for all the advice. I rarely load to maximum so staying in the low to medium range of powder levels should do me fine.
Thanks for pointing out the difference between plated and jacketed.

Yep, meant hollow base not tail. Guess I had boat tail bullets on the mind since I had looked at them a couple of shelves over earlier.

Shoot Safe and Often

Hammerhead

I load them to 124 jacketed data, velocity over the chrono is right on using that data. This hold true for any of the plated bullets.

They may be slightly longer, but the total volume taken up by the bullet in the case is exactly the same as a standard bullet because of the hollow cavity.

I have not seen any increase or decrease in accuracy with them at 25 yards. And no difference in speed.

Berry's HBRN and HBFP are good bullets, treat them like standard plated bullets.

FrankenMauser called it correctly. You see the question come up with hollow base vs. bevel base 148 grain wadcutters for .38 Special and .357 Magnum. The amount of powder space taken up by the greater seating depth of the hollow base design is exactly equal to the amount of powder space added by the hollow base cavity. So as long as the COL is the same for both bullets, the space the powder starts burning in is the same and peak pressure is the same with the same load. But nose shape and bullet weight and construction do have to match.

FrankenMauser

I don't buy that the base expands.
Then don't use them. ;)

I have a .380 Auto that has a .358" x .359" groove diameter, and a loose spot in the middle of the barrel that's even larger than that - .360"+. It's not a bulged barrel, just really shoddy quality control.
But... even if I wanted to, the chamber is too tight to use .358" bullets.
The only bullet I have been able to find that will seal in those .358"+ grooves, and maintain their seal through the loose spot, are the Berry's .355" 100 gr HBRNs.

Getting that bore to seal and stay sealed has improved reliability, cleanliness (better combustion), performance (higher velocity), and accuracy.

They work quite well, for me. But, you don't have to believe, if you don't want to.

BuckRub

I bought and shot thousands upon thousands myself but in the 155 grainers and the 135 grainers for 40 cal. I called a rep from Berrys and just asked out of curiosity why their bullets are hollow base like they are. He told me that was their trademark and actually its designed to be more accurate. He said its believed to push behind the bullet better and they believe they are just as accurate as anything out there. IDK but Ive always had great accuracy with them.

Bart B.

RC20, what's the difference between 25,000 psi of pressure inside a case with a hole in its front end and a bullet with a hole in its back end? Doesn't each have that pressure pushing outward on those inner surfaces?