hollow-points in a lever-action tube--okay to use?

longeyes

I'm no rifle expert. Can anyone tell me whether using hollow-point rounds in a lever-action tube is contraindicated? I'm thinking, specifically, Federal 125g and Winchester 150g in a Marlin 336. I thought the only no-no was "pointy" ammo, but someone has just told me that hollow-points aren't advisable. Truth, please.

HPs will be fine in your lever gun. Just stay away from them sharp pointy ones. No one needs a kaboom in their magazine tube.

Snowdog

There's absolutely no reason I can think of that would make using HPs in lever-guns inadvisable. As long as you make certain it feeds reliably in your rifle, nothing's stopping you.

Jay Baker

I've shot a lot of 150 gr hollow points in my Win. Trapper .30-30, and 210 gr. Sierra JHP in my Marlin 1894S .41 mag. No problems at all.

FWIW. J.B.

Handy

I think the point here is that some hollowpoints, like Sierra HPBT, are as pointy and dangerous as FMJ. I would always compare the bullet to a factory loaded .30-30 round and use it only if they are of similar bluntness. A magazine detenation would be extremely tragic.