Hollow base bulleta

1stmar

Just picked up some 380 bulleta and found out they are hollow base. Anyone know how this effects pressure ? What's the point of a hollow base? Are they typically more or less accurate ?

Thanks guys

jwrowland77

I believe from what I've read, as the gas expands, it cause the hollow base to expand and get a good seal while pushing the bullet down the muzzle.

Nick_C_S

Yep. Above is correct.

The base of the bullet "obturates" - uhh, it expands up, sealing the base of the bullet against the barrel lands n grooves. It basically maximizes velocity and accuracy, while minimizing barrel leading (if applicable)

It does, however, have a drawback. When loaded too hot, they will over-obturate - distort, if you will - potentially causing barrel damage and other issues. The least of which, being a very inaccurate round.

zxcvbob

I think they are hollow-base just to make the bullets longer; longer bearing surface and more weight-forward for more accuracy. (regular .380 bullets are short and stubby)

.380 is not that high of a pressure cartridge.

Nick_C_S

I think they are hollow-base just to make the bullets longer; longer bearing surface and more weight-forward for more accuracy. (regular .380 bullets are short and stubby)

.380 is not that high of a pressure cartridge.

Ahh, good point. That makes sense.

saitek

hollow base

it give's you a little bit longer bullet to help stabilize the bullet and you can get a lighter bullet to manage recoil better .they kinda act like a mini ball sealing the barrel when fired .

Valornor

Never seen that before in a modern pistol bullet. What brand? I've seen played bullets be dished before but not hollow.

Valornor

I realize this is kind of hijacking the thread, but does anyone have a range report? I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison between a the two bullet designs. I really can't image there would be huge difference in performance.

1stmar

Appreciate the responses. They are berrys, I have previously bought berrys, same weight but they were not hollow base. Plan on going to the range today I will compare accuracy with the 2, flat base and hollow base. The flat base I got very good accuracy in my lcp less the. 2" group at 10 yards. Given the sights and the trigger I was very pleased with that. Will report back.

g.willikers

Pretty sure that the hollow based bullet is more about a length vs weight design thing than sealing the bore.
The original Minie design was for a large caliber with soft lead bullets and no jacket.
They loaded easier from the front than ball and patch, and still engaged the rifling when fired.
From my own muzzle loader experience, they are not nearly as accurate as the ball and patch, though.
How that translates to the reason for modern hollow based bullets.....??

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Load them to the same OAL as you would any flat base bullet of the same weight and nose profile. The volume inside the loaded round remains essentially the same, even if the base of the bullet is seated deeper than a corresponding flat base bullet (the hollow base makes up for it).

It does, however, have a drawback. When loaded too hot, they will over-obturate - distort, if you will - potentially causing barrel damage and other issues. The least of which, being a very inaccurate round.
Hollow base bullets will do nothing to your barrel, that the high pressure gasses won't do on their own.

In theory, you can get a little "over expansion" of the base/skirt as the bullet is exiting the barrel. But, in practice... it's a complete waste of time to worry about such things. I've never seen anyone that has been able to document the phenomenon or any evidence of it, nor have I seen evidence of it with BHN 7 (super soft) hollow base wadcutters, in 30k+ psi .327 Federal loads.
They lead the barrel like crazy, but they don't 'over expand' as they exit.

There is nothing to worry about, besides the every-present "Is my firearm going to like this bullet, or print shotgun patterns with it?"

warhwkbb

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but in 45 ACP, the 185gr Hollow Based Berry's have been the most accurate bullets I have found at target velocities in my Les Bauer PII.

RickB

I've used a lot of hollow-base 200gr bullets in .45 ACP. There is not merely a rounded depression in the base, but a deep hole, almost like that of a hollowpoint.
I was thinking that the point was to create a longer bearing surface for a given weight, as broached above, and there might be something to that, but I did run into problems apparently related to the change in relationship between bullet weight and internal case capacity.
When I used the load data that I'd used for flat-based bullets, velocities were down. To get back to the velocity I wanted, I had to exceed recommended max loads for my powder of choice. By reducing OAL, I was able to get the charge weight/velocity relationship I was used to; to get the same velocity with the hollow base round nose as with plain base round nose, I had to shorten OAL to 1.2" from 1.26".

serf 'rett

From Berry's web site:

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14471-c10-g8-b0-p0-380_Cal_100gr_HBRN_1000ct.aspx

The "Hollow Base" in the base of the bullet allows us to make a longer profile without adding weight. For example if we were to hollow base a 230gr .45 ACP bullet, it now weighs 185gr.. The longer profile gives more "Bearing Surface" on the bullet, which helps a pistol barrel stabilize the bullet.

As previously stated, effect on pressure should be minor.

Range Report?

2" with an LCP is good. Are you shooting the LCP offhand or from a rest?

1stmar

Regrettably I didn't make it to the range this past weekend. Will get there sat or Sunday should be picking up a new m1a and a recently bedded 06. So I have some toys to try out.
Shooting offhand. I love that thing, I'm amazed every time I shoot it how accurate and easy it is to shoot. I shoot dueling post at 25 yds with ease.

1stmar

Went to the range today and did quite a bit of rifle, then finished up with the 380. My eyes never really got settled in so I cheated. I have a laserlyte side mount and since I was having trouble focusing I figured for shooting groups I'd use the laser. 5 shot group with the flat base 100 gr berrys over 3.4gr of 231 were 1.66". 5 shot group with the hollow base 100gr berrys over 3.4gr of 231 were 1.59". No difference. I then loaded a mag with alternate rounds of flat and hollow base and shot 5 shot string to see if I could notice any difference in recoil as potentially an indicator of pressure. I have no pressure measuring device and I realize this may not be an indicator of pressure. I couldn't tell any difference. If my eyes were working better I would have gone back to 25yds but I think after shooting through a scope for so long I just couldn't get focused. Anyway unscientific but from my perspective there is no discernible difference. All shots were offhand.