Hogue stock opinions for Ruger M77 MKII?

fariaguard

I have a Ruger M77 MKII in 7mm Rem Mag w/ standard barrel purchased new in the mid 90's with the ugly and hard kicking black plastic "skeleton" stock. The butt stock is sort of hollowed out on the sides. If I do my part this rifle will group 1.5" consistently at 100 yards with several ammo brands.

I was looking at the Hogue over molded full length aluminum bedding block model as I've read Hogue stocks are flexy and I thought this version would be better. I cant afford the ultra rigid carbon or fiberglass composites on the market from other manufacturers. I understand it will free float the barrel.

Will this purchase be an improvement over the "skeleton" stock? Better accuracy? Less flex? Kick less?
Thanks!

jmr40

Accuracy will be about the same. It'll add at least 1/2 lb to the rifles weight if you go with the version with pliars. The full bedding block is at least a full pound heavier. That along with the better recoil pad will help with recoil, but it'll be a pig to carry around.

A better option IMHO is to call Ruger and ask about the newer synthetic stocks they used on the synthetic Hawkeye All Weather rifles before they were discontinued. Last one I bought was $85 shipped, but I know they have gone up and may no longer be available. If not available they show up used on e-bay and gunbroker for around $50. You get a much better feeling stock in my opinion, it is still lightweight and it comes with a modern hi-tech recoil pad that works very well

Just be aware, the stock you have has reached cult like status among many Ruger fans. Personally I can't stand them and that is why I ordered one from Ruger. You can sell the factory stock to someone for more than the cost of replacing it with a factory stock.

603Country

I bought the aluminum bedding block Hogue for my Hawkeye. I can't honestly say it shot better or worse with the new stock, but like JMR40 said, it was real heavy. I put the Hogue in a corner of my workshop and put the original synthetic stock back on it.