Hogue overmoulded Stocks.

Scribe

Anyone have any experience of these? I have a Ramline stock which after 600 rounds of 7.62mm / .308 is showing some cracks. I am looking for a replacement and these seem satisfactory.

The very best to you all for 2007!

blancoman

My mouth drops open when I look at what Hogue gives you for the price you pay. The difference in that and a ram line is night and day. How do they create those wonderful toys? I have Hogues on my mini 14s, my mauser, and my 10-22s and all my handguns wear Hogue or they wear nothing at all. Hogue even has a new stock with a revolutionary recoil system. Don't remember what the name is . One more thing, Hogue has an Auction site for selling factory seconds and returns over the internet. I am not, nor have I ever been a Hogue employee. But I sure do like their products.

Abstract

I like Hogue AR grips. Hogue Overmolded stocks for bolt rifles are flimsy; wouldn't have one. Lots of better options available.

blancoman

I will accept the fact that I do not know even close to all there is about synthetic stocks. Having been said, Hogue in the past might have been flimsy but times have changed. Now, they offer pillar bedding and complete aluminum bedding options. I would be happy to change to a different synthetic but if you are talking about a 300 dollar or higher McMillan or HS precision, it's going to be hard to beat what Hogue offers for less than a third of the money. If I had unlimited resources I would love to have an HS Precision, I have shot a 700 wearing HS. Doesn't shoot any better than the hogue, so why am I paying the extra money?

Abstract

blanco: Unless you swapped the 700 with the H-S stock into a Hogue stock, then how could you possibly know that the rifle performs just as well with the Hogue as with an H-S Precision stock?

You can sometimes find H-S "takeoffs" (where folks have upgraded) for $100-$125. Check out varminthunters.com. Ask those guys for their opinions of the Hogue stocks. Check out their listings for used parts sales, if you're interested in trying another brand.

blancoman

Thanks Abstract. Like I said I don't know everything. I am going there now to check out the forums. I have never been shy about buying used equipment. I only wish I could get synthetics for some of my European rifles. Steyr makes a synthetic stock for some of their rifles but they look like dogs. HK doesn't even offer a synthetic at all. Hated to put a pricy stock on a mini mauser that I only use for 100 yd shots. I am a shooter that just happens to live in the middle of the deer infested Texas Hill Country. Lots of deer but long shots are just not the norm here. My neighbors and I shoot them out of the yard with 22mags from 30 yds. Can't even get a synthetic for my CZ452. My first choice would be HS but I take what I can get. As for the 700 in the HS. I did not switch out the stock on that particular rifle. So you are correct and I stand corrected. That brings up one other point, we didn't ask the original poster what he was going to do with the rifle. If he only shoots occasionally and only makes short range shots it might be hard to justify HS. If on the other hand he travels as I do several hours just to get a shot at a deer at 5 or 6 hundred yards then I would say he needs nothing less than the best. So for his benefit here is my rating from best to worst on the synthetics
HS Precision
McMillan
Bell & Carlson
Hogue
Choate
Ramline
I know there are others out there but these are top sellers. Thoughts?

Abstract

I own a VS .223 with the H-S Precision stock. I've never owned McMillan stock, but I believe they're superior to H-S Precision.

I don't hunt deer, but do hunt varmints and paper, so weight isn't a big problem for me. My .223 has shot consistent groups under 1/4" @ 100 yds. Don't know how much better one might expect from an "off the line" rifle.

BTW, some of the takeoffs will be brand-new. Some people will buy a Sendero or VS and immediately upgrade the stock.

razorbuc

I put a Hogue overmold on a 6.5x55 mauser that I built from a Turk K-kale reciever....new swedish m38 bbl,and I wouldnt' take anything for the overmold...

If you are building a bench gun....go somewhere else...but if you want a tough stock,that handles recoil very well...is free floated..etc.that you are going to hunt with,or just a general shooter.....the Hogue is a good one..

I dont know about all stocks...I just know the Hogue I have is a very good stock..and the gun shoots well under an inch at 100 yds