Hog trap bait

reynolds357

Anyone have any "outside the box" ideas for hog trap bait that works well?
I use turnips, lettuce, fresh corn, dried corn, fermented corn, sour mash, bread, kool aid, and table scraps.
Anyone know of anything unusual that they can not resist? My trapping is getting a bit stagnant.

Guv

Someone told me one time to mix Diesel with the corn! I told him that sounds like a giant pile of BS. Anyone heard of this, I used to work on diesels allot and hated that crap. Couldn't wash it off. I mix some old beer with the sour mash mix.

1tfl

Diesel works well.
A large rag wrapped around a post will work but just remember to get that post deep as hogs will rub against it real hard.

myfriendis410

Molasses works too. Hogs will also rub against creosote soaked telephone poles too.

Do you move your traps around? They do get shy when one trap stays in the same location.

fdf

Right now with the acorns on the ground and winter weed green up, there is nothing the hogs want that man can provide.

If hogs are rooting, you are wasting your time baiting traps in that area.

I have a large section of land where the hogs have rooted the woods up and will not go into a trap.

My trapper has 30 traps set now and has not caught a hog in 2 weeks. We have shut down trapping for the time being.

With the rain in October, the hogs have scattered and the recent rain which has flooded the bottoms has moved them a long ways.

As far as soaking corn in diesel being BS, you are not wise about hog trapping. Corn soaked diesel attracts hogs and it stops deer from going into traps to eat it, coons eating it and crows from eating it. After your remove enough dead deer from traps you find a better way, they break their necks trying to get out of the traps.

If you want to trap hogs, forget the small traps, they learn quick. You have to build traps out of bull panel and use a lot of it. You have to bait it and be willingly to wait until you have photos of lots of hogs in it, then set the trap.
Catching one or two hogs only educates the others.

fdf

When hogs are rooting up grubs, why would they care about peanut butter and where do they learn to eat peanut butter and how many jars do you put into a trap? Just wondering.

Right now, no one is getting hogs into traps. Deer season opening and the deer hunters have disrupted the hogs and their routines. The hogs have gone totally nocturnal, that is what my cameras are documenting.

Cameras are invaluable when it comes to hogs. They are one of the smartest critters in the woods. I had one last year that would come to the feeder each night, 30 minutes after dark. The game went on for 6 weeks. Finally it went to raining at 1630 and rained hard all night. I got up and headed to the blind in the rain, it quit at daylight (dumb luck) and here he came. End of a large hog, the camera told on him.

Creosote and diesel soaked rags hogs like, that gets the fleas off them, but not into traps.

Last edited:

thallub

Hog trapping is very slow here now. There's acorns and pecans in the areas we trap. The wheat fields are green and hogs like young wheat.

Doyle

Don't laugh, it works. You don't put the jars out - you smear it around. It's the scent that attracts them - and it works. There is even a commercial hog attractant out now that is peanut butter based.

fdf

Okay the hog smells peanut butter which it has never smelled before and it arrives at the trap, no food in sight and no reason to enter the trap,

There is every kind of scented food and block in our feed store for sale, they are meant to attract hunters with dollars, not deer or hogs.

Guys come into the feed store and say I need some deer corn. Standard response, what are you hunting for, bucks or does and they ask why? We need to know, if you are for hunting bucks, we need to sell you buck corn and if you are hunting does we need to sell you doe corn. They leave happy with their corn.

The best one was a round shaped ball (in camo color) that you shook and it admitted a sound which was meant to sound like a buck breeding a doe (imagine Jeff Foxworthy at work) and was supposed to make the bucks in the area jealous. A great marketing idea, not a bunch of repeat customers though.

Seems like lots of folks have all the ideas for trapping hogs that will work, except that full time trappers do not agree with them.

We all get to have our ideas, some work and some do not. I like old trappers, they have experience, there is not one food or smell that works.

1tfl

Nothing works every time but a lot of things work sometimes.

The most common and IMHO the most effective is corn followed by donuts. Yeah, no joke donuts works really well. I think it's the sweetness that attracts them. I've baited with stale donuts from local supermarket and it worked great. Sour corn works well too. Various over ripe fruits like apple, banana, watermelon, etc. works well too.

fdf

My trapper did use left over food from the local restaurant. It cut his cost down not having to buy corn and diesel.

Lady from the State busted him behind the restaurant and told him to cease and desist. He pleaded with her as he was a State employee and she said it's your last trip here.

There is no one answer on food for trapping hogs. Pears work some times and at other times they do not.

Feeding hogs is kind of like making women happy, nothing works at times.

reynolds357

The hogs are definitely getting trap shy. That is the reason I was wanting new Ideas for bait. It has been my experience that changing bait up usually overcomes trap shyness. I am running out of things to change to. Thanks for the new suggestions. I will have to try peanut butter. I have heard about diesel, but have been hesitant to try it because I eat all the sows I catch.

1tfl

If you have trap shy hogs make the trap larger.
Large trap will put hogs at ease. You can also leave it open with food inside for a while for them to get used to it.

fdf

Diesel will not taint the meat, especially with all the other stuff hogs eat.

If diesel affected hogs it would kill them first.