Hog hunting bullets and shot placement.

samsmix

I'm going on a first time Texas hog hunt next fall. We will be using .50 Hawken replicas, and I was wondering what anyone with experience might think was a good projectile. Guns are 1:48" twist.
I was considering the 350gr T/C maxi ball over 70gr of 777.

bamaranger

.50 Maxi's

I've not shot any hogs, but have used .50 caplock rifles on whitetails here using 370 Maxi's. In my little T/C White Mtn carbine I shoot 70 gr of FFFg, in the longer, heavier Renegade, I bump the charge to 80 gr'. I've had nothing but pass through's on the half dozen or so deer I've killed in the 125-150 lb range. I'd speculate that those 370 gr slugs were running near 1400 fps, and that's pretty serious medicine.

Hogs are reportedly a bit tougher than deer, but I cannot imagine one taking a well placed shot and expiring in short order.

GeauxTide

Anything but a CNS shot, hogs will run a bit. I use bonded bullets to ensure pass through to leave a big blood trail, so a hard lead ball should be dandy.

deadcoyote

I don’t have any experience with cap and ball and hogs but have been hunting them for 25 years. I currently use .308 Nosler E tip copper solids. The go right through and as long as placement is good the hogs always die. Free tip we hunt in an area that’s rolling hills and the pigs always run down to the lowest point near where they were shot at. They never seem to run uphill ever.

I know what you meant, but that isn't what you said. The head is a large appendage and the brain is very small on hogs. You CAN shoot them in the head and have them live and be just fine. The lower jaw is part of the head and is typically a non-lethal shot. The nose is often a non-lethal shot. Any non-penetrating glancing shot can't be counted on to bring the hog down, either.

You need to do significant CNS damage, in this case, brain or brain stem damage.