Hmm... think I may buy a Glock......

Handgun Harry

I own a Colt 1911 currently.. I'm 22 years old (23 this May.. man I'm getting old! *ducks*).. I am starting my 'collection'.. to use for recreation, for my own protection, and to eventually pass down to my kids.. (when the time comes).

I was BS'n with my roomate (who owns a S&W .40), telling him how I was thinking about getting a Kimber CDP.. he suggested I go with "something totally different" since I already own a Colt 1911.. hmm.. I guess a Glock would be pretty "different". (no revolvers; not yet at least)

Glocks definately interest me.. they are obviously fantastic guns or they wouldn't have such a HUUUUUUUGEEEE following (just makes sense to me.. in most cases). Not to mention I could pick one up for HALF the price of the CDP. I already own a pretty nice/expensive 1911.

I've handled Glocks before (no idea what model), and they feel pretty good in my hand. Never shot one though. I'll definately shoot one before I decide to buy, that's a given. Assuming I go with a Glock, I was thinking about a Glock 19.. something I could carry a bit easier than my Colt. Plus a nice collection just doesn't seem complete to me w/o the famous Glock.

I know this is a pretty general question but...

Any Glock advice or reccomendations?

P.S. BTW, I know of glocktalk.com, but I like TFL better! I also hear "Watch out, Glocks tend to multiply!" hehe

jtduncan

If CCW is important to your selection, consider the G19 in 9mm, the G29 in 10mm, the G30 in .45 ACP.

I can't recommend any 40 SW models since powder and cartridge manufacturers only tolerate the round. Get a 10mm if you want real stopping power. The 40SW is just a chopped 10mm case but same bullet.

But the G29 would be my first recommendation.

blades67

I started with the 19. I am going to buy a 20 soon because I don't have a 10mm yet. Start with the 19 and add others as needed.;)

Redlg155

I would check into any of the Glock .40 and .45's full size and compacts. You can get aftermarket barrels to change the .40 into .357 sig and .45 to 2 or more different hybrid calibers.

If want to carry concealed, I personally prefer the G36. It is a single stack and the thinnest glock yet.

Good Shooting
REd

sundance43.5

I agree with the others. It's basically subjective, to what you're going to use it for. For carry, the 19 would be good, but if you don't conceal very well, then maybe the 26 or 27 would be better. Also, if you plan to use it for anything more than CCW, then the 19 is a minimum size. If you're going to use it for range work, and maybe more, then the 19, or a full size Glock would be good.

I just sold myself on a Glock 17, because CCW isn't an option here, and I want the extra accuracy, and fps that the full size gives me. Please folks, don't mention the Glock 34, because I know what it is.

Thanks

gringo5

I have a G 19-c and a G32 for CCW. Good thing about the G32 .357 sig is i just have to change barrels and i have a .40. The best of both worlds.

Lightsped

I too have a G19c and am very pleased with it. I'd say go with a G19 or G17. Ammo is affordable and you can get high cap mags with 15-17-30 rounds if desired....

myg19c2.jpg

Runner

I have a Glock 23 and a 27 but I don't have to pay for (directly) for my ammo. 9mm ammo is cheaper to purchase so you may want to consider a 19 for that reason. Either way both the 23 and 19 would be excellent choices!

bG27296.jpg

Tecolote

Lettering

Glock 23 would be my choice too. If you want you can get a 9mm conversion barrel for it or a 357SIG barrel.

Runner,

How did you get the green lettering on your Glock 23?

Canine

Glock pistols be a decent choice. I would either go with the G21, 30, 19 or 26. I don't care for .40 Glocks especially the G23 which I can't hit the broadside of a barn with.

JMack

OK, if you are looking for an overall do anything Glock, the 23 would be the perfect choice. Small enough to conceal, still high caps everywhere for it and the .40 cartridge is a pretty good bad guy stopper. If you find you want to shoot 9mm or .357sig you can always but teh barrels and just drop them in. You buy the 9mm first and you are stuck with it.

If you want a superb Glock for concealed carry I highly recomend the G27, its a subcompact that holds 9 rounds of .40 which is nothing to snicker at if you ask me. Also, like the 23 you can swap put the barrels for a 9mm ot .357sig if you ever feel the need.

Honestly, I always stayed away from buying a 9mm Glock not because I dont like the 9mm but rather that you just get more options buying the 9mms big brothers in .40, I own many 9mms so dont bash me too bad guys. With a Glock you have to take this stuff into consideration, why go with less for the same price?

Theres my recomendations, it all depends on what you will be using the gun for.

Jason

swampy

The one thing not mentioned above is the Glock trigger. It is very different from that on a 1911, and the Glock trigger will never be as good as a 1911 trigger. I have three Glocks and 1911s too, and if I can shoot both anyone can. However, the biggest complaint I hear from people selling their Glock is about the Glock trigger and how they have to adjust to it each time they shoot it. The best trigger and cleanest break on a Glock is obtained by using the "short reset", but doing so is something that needs to be put into muscle memory by practice and it doesn't transfer to other style triggers. Also, if you lighten the pull by installing a 3.5 lb connector, a lot of people complain that the mushiness increases. None of this may bother you at all, but before you buy one try to find an experienced Glock owner and have him show you the short reset and dry fire the gun some. If it bothers you when dryfiring, you aren't going to like it any better with live ammo. Good shooting

JMack

The thing is yes, the Glocks trigger is a little different but it is not any harder to adjust to than any other INMO.

Most people that have Glocks love their trigger pulls, it is the same pull every single time you pull the trigger and thats a big plus to people.

If I can go to a range with my Sigs shoot the hell out of them and then pick up a Glock and shoot just fine anybody can.

they are not the wonder trigger that people make them out to be, if you have used a revolver in DA you will feel the resemblence with the Glocks trigger.

Without a doubt you should shoot any gun you are thinking of buying before you make the purchase for this very reason. There is no gun out there that everyone loves so do a littl research first.

The easy part is finding a reliable,quality,durable gun, the hard part is finding the one that fits you like a Glove. For me its a tie between my Glocks and Sigs.

Jason

bdhawk

run don't walk to your nearest gunz r us, and get you a glock. warning you won't be happy with just one. i suggest a G19 for your first one.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Glock_Racer!

That's twice that you've made me fill my sinuses with sodypop by ambushing me with that picture. Plus that other funny shot you took with the rifle; your kitchen is destined to become a cult location on the gun boards: "I wonder what he's up to there, now...":D

P

PreserveFreedom

You can't go wrong with any Glock. The Glock 19 sounds like a real good place to start. Don't worry, it will multiply. Soon after, you will have one in 40S&W, 357sig, 10mm, and 45ACP. If things really get out of hand you might even get one of the 22LR conversion kits for plinking.

Cyric13

If you want a Glock get one but you might want to handle a HS2000. Most say it's a cross between a Sig and a Glock. Many owners have nothing to say but good things including me. Points better than a Glock for most. Also they cost $300 or less OTD. Check into it. They have a grip saftey like a 1911 a trigger saftey like a glock. Very nice gun try the "Croatian Sensation" you might like it. Check out the HS2000 forum at:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Also check out the thread on here titled "Handled a HS2000"

Good Luck

Cyri

shooter.45

I have 2 a G26 and a G30 and love them booth. They shoot great very accurate..

View

View

Cant go wrong with any model glock really.
Good Luck :)