HK91 / G3 Magazine question

oldcars

So, I have never owned a rifle of this style buy I have always admired them and someday I will buy a Cetme, G3, HK91, PTR91 ect. when the right deal comes along. Lately I keep seing realy cheap surplus magazines for these guns and I think I should invest a little money in mags while they are still cheap. So, If you were going to spend $100 on mags for a rifle you might own one day, would you buy 50 steel ones at $2 each or 100 aluminum ones at $1 each ? are the steel mags twice as good as the aluminum ones?

T-90

Personally, I think the steel ones are better magazines. Try and stay away from those after market 30's that were made for the HK-91's.

The steel 20 rounders are more heavy duty and better constructed. The aluminum ones tend to be just lighter and cheaper feeling. They are ok... it seems I got some from Cheaper Than Dirt some years back, but the steel ones are the magic ticket for that particular rifle.

NWPilgrim

I have a mix of used steel and used aluminum for my PTR91 (US made clone of HK91). Although the are scuffed on the outside, all of them work fine. I think the HK91 mag design is one of the better ones and even aluminum ones seem to be pretty robust and reliable. The aluminums are so darn cheap it makes sense to get several of those anyway, then get a few steel just in case you ever have a problem with the Al. I got 40 Al mags with the PTR91 (bought used) for about $40 more than just the rifle. Too good to turn down and they have worked fine.

Just a note, the HK91 variants have a fluted chamber that really deforms the cases so it may shorten case life if you reload. I have reloaded them a couple of times so far and while ugly it hasn't hampered reloading yet. I am thinking of buying some Wolf .308 for plinking and saving my brass .308 cases for other rifles and accuracy shooting.

rigby06

I have a Cetme 308, and I have bough used H&K 91 mags for it, should work just fine, but you will need to use a little force to put each magazine in, as someone indicated, they are designed for combat, not subtleties.