HK VP70 & Hi-point: Separated at Birth?

RCS

Ok, I saw one of these the other night, and the only feature of it that impressed me whatsoever was the 18rd mags that load subgun style. Other than that I was amazed to see how much it looked like a Hi-point. And it truly has the worst trigger I have ever felt. Is there anyone who actually likes this monstrosity? Ok, so I understand that it was revolutionary, the first polymer pistol, etc. However it seems to me that this truly one pistol when taken out of its original shoulder-stock, 3rd burst configuration is next to worthless. Correct me if I am wrong.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Putting these two guns in the same sentence is violation of several laws someplace... When I find out where... You're busted!
I'm reporting you to H&K right now!

;)

Badger Arms

The VP70 is a quality pistol based on several good concepts. It's firepower and construction were revolutionary. The other pistol is a cheap tool akin to them $1.99 hammers you get at the local thrift store. Yeah, they look just like the more expensive ones but you get what you pay for in durability and quality.

mikey357

Kinda like mentioning Fiat and Ferrarri in the same sentence...oh, man, I bet the H&K people are PISSED!!!....mikey357

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
He's right, you know...

...the trigger on the VP-70 held "Worst Trigger I've Ever Pulled (Open Class)" honors until I ran across a Taurus Millenium with a trigger that was unusually gritty, heavy, and uneven even for one of those little monstrosities. Also, the fit and finish on those guns was a little on the low side for a German pistol, let alone an HK. They were just trying to break a little too much new ground all at once for the civilian handgun market to take the pistol to heart.

RCS

just to clarify, I was in no way insinuating that they were of equal quality, or that they compared in any way other than the fact that they have the same top heavy feel, and somewhat the same look. I realize that they are NOTHING alike otherwise. Besides, it was a funny title.

Rex Feral

The VP-70Z is one of my favoite pistols. I think it has much higher "coolness factor" than even the Desert Ego.

Having said that, if offered a choice, I would take a Ruger SP-101 9mm to a gunfight first.