HK USP45 Question - Magazine Issue??

Big Calhoun

Over the weekend, I've noticed an issue with my HK USP 45 Tatical that I believe may be an issue with the magazine.

When I insert a loaded magazine, but do not chamber a round, I can tilt the firearm back and forth and hear a 'rattle'. Not really a rattle but I can hear something moving back and forth. When I chamber a round, the noise is gone.

To figure out where the problem lies, I cleared the loaded round and removed the magazine. Titlting it back and forth produced no noise. I broke the firearm down and tilted the frame and barrell assembly separately, back and forth. Again, no noise was produced. I then reassembled everything and inserted an empty magazine. Tilting it back and forth produced no noise. Finally, I reinserted the full magazine and tilting the firearm back and forth produced the sound. When I chambered a round again, no noise.

This informal experimentation leads me to believe that there may be an issue with the spring in the magazine. It seems to be feeding properly but I'm wondering if the spring will eventually fail.

Does this all sound consistent with an issue with the spring in the magazine or could I be overlooking something else?

SEH95B

Thats actually normal, what happens is with a full mag the follower is at an angled so that may lead that last round to move around a little bit. My P2000 as a mag or two that does the same thing.

Big Calhoun

OK...phew. I was thinking to myself 'Man, I just got this thing!!'. I guess I've not noticed it in the past and completely over looked it which is why it took me by surprise. Thanks for the insight!!

fatboyclone

the best way to prevent this rattle is to give the magazine a few slaps against the heel of your hand while loading to properly seat the cartirdges in the magazine.

FWIW all of my HK magazines do this from the white 9mm Experts to my P2000.

litework

Yep, standard USP thing (kind of like the mysterious slide release on mag insertion thing).

...and not restricted to USPs. Most of my double stack magazines will do this from time to time. Properly seating the cartridges in the magazine seems to remedy the noise.

The mysterious slide release is very common in Glock pistols, as well.