HK USP compact cracked lower. Repair or replace?

armed_librarian

So I was in a motorcycle accident last month. I was wearing my USPc in a galco holster small of back. On impact with a car it was thrown from my person and came down on the bottom of the grip.

Okay, that said. The lower (polymer) now has a crack from the bottom of the magwell almost to the trigger guard. Before I ship the gun to HK and pay them to replace the lower I'm curious if anyone thinks it is repairable. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth my time to find a gunsmith or just ship it off.
dd9ad3e03072aaa60080ee0b02c589a8.jpg

6e202da8756ba39b71dfe027956c6a2f.jpg

Thanks for the input.

Bentonville

I have several Hk firearms and have used HK customer service several times for various services and for one problem with the finish on a new pistol. I have found the people with HK to be professional folks who care about HK owners. Send them the picture and ask them what they suggest.
HECKLER & KOCH
5675 Transport Boulevard
Columbus, Georgia 31907 USA
Tel: (706) 568-1906
Fax: (706) 568-9151
E-mail: cs@heckler-koch-us.com

dogtown tom

armed_librarian......Before I ship the gun to HK and pay them to replace the lower I'm curious if anyone thinks it is repairable. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth my time to find a gunsmith or just ship it off.
HK will simply replace the frame.
I do not forsee any positives to a gunsmith attempting to glue that back together.

I was wearing my USPc in a galco holster small of back.
You are lucky the gun didn't contribute to a serious spinal injury. No firearms instructor I know recommends this type of carry.

jglsprings

You are lucky the gun didn't contribute to a serious spinal injury. No firearms instructor I know recommends this type of carry.

Wow, it took less than sixty minutes for a net nanny to jump in...

vyse.04

I'd look into a new frame before I'd consider attempting to have it repaired. Honestly I would rather buy a new gun than carry a polymer frame that was repaired (if even possible).

armed_librarian

Thank you everyone for the input. I had a friend who is a big gun guy seemed taken by surprise that I was going to spend the money to have HK replace it and not try and repair it. So I wanted to ask. My first thought from the get go was to not want to try and use it again.

In hindsight I know that carrying that way on the bike was a bad idea. Normally, especially if I know I'll be at highway speed it's a .380 in my front pocket or a shoulder holster. Which may not be the greatest idea but it was what I had to work with.

All that said I'll go ahead and tell you guys this. I'm very lucky the gun happened to come loose. I was thrown 8 feet into the air when I t-boned the car that pulled right in front of me. I came down flat on my back after being thrown over the car. Had that holster not come loose I would most definitely be paralyzed. I only say this because it's a good lesson for anyone else ignorant enough to do what I was doing.

Thanks again.

JDBerg

Firearms and Motorcycles are my favorite things. Assuming you are O.K. and the bike is repairable, send the gun to HK and they should be able to replace the polymer frame for you.

I know a few NRA firearms instructors and they don't ride motorcycles. I even know a few MSF motorcycle instructors who don't carry firearms when they ride. I have yet to see an intelligently written article on carry options for MC riders. If you ride out of state without a reciprocal carry permit, and your bike does not have locked saddlebags to stow your gun & ammo, you may be carrying illegally. I will carry my Sig P225 in the inside zippered pocket of my motorcycle jacket when I ride mine in my home state of PA and I'm not headed to the Jersey shore. If you are carrying on your body, and depending on how you hit the ground (best case) if you get knocked off, your internal injury or injuries will probably be worse if you land on top of the firearm. So you go with what you know.

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Most people I know that carry on motorcycle use a shoulder holster as there aren't a ton of options. I've never been a motorcycle guy myself. The result of both a mother who was an RN and now a mother-in-law who was a paramedic. A "donor cycle" isn't in the cards for me.

Honestly I think the only real option is to send it in. Given that it's the grip and not something actually containing the expanding gases you probably could still use it, but at some point the rest of the frame would likely crack and it would suck if that happened when you needed it.

sandmansans

I side carry when I'm riding as I would in the car, but I'm going to guess and say you were on a crotch rocket?

Anyway glad to hear you were able to walk away

Skans

My leather jackets both have a small pocket on the left-hand side/inside - perfect for carrying a small pocket-sized pistol.

Didn't they drop a Glock from an airplane.....????? Just sayin...:D

armed_librarian

Thanks everyone for the input. I was on a short jaunt that only had about 5 miles of road with a speed limited over 30mph. Normally if I'm gonna be cruising at highway speeds I would carry something different. I'll take a couple moments and respond to the couple curious minds.

I'm in and surrounded by states that are gun friendly so how I carry isn't normally an issue.

No it wasn't a "crotch rocket."

The bike was a complete and huge loss. Not so much monetarily but because of what the bike was. It was an '84 Honda V65 Magna. Bought it a few years ago with only 13k miles from the original owner. They are hard to find in good shape and unbeaten and mine was still close to showroom.

g.willikers

This question might better belong in the tactical section:
How tempted were you to retaliate?
There you are laying in the road after being accosted by some idjit who was probably paying more attention to their smart phone than their driving.
Your precious and irreplaceable bike is destroyed, you don't know if you have but mere minutes to live, and the means of revenge is within reach.
So, how tempted were you?

JDBerg

That's a shame about your bike. Doesn't sound like that one is going to ride again. I got back up on mine after a little old lady in an old brown Chevy Lumina pulled out in front of me 3-1/2 years ago. I had headlights & highbeams on & it was an early Sunday afternoon in March, and I had witnesses so the "I didn't see the motorcycle" line didn't fly this time. I'm an "ATGATT" (All The Gear All The Time) rider, so I wasn't badly or permanently injured.

We did get her drivers license permanently revoked when her license was suspended and she failed the vision test that she had to take to get the license reinstated. And after that I won all my expenses and lost wages when we settled out of court with the insurance company.

armed_librarian

I honestly cannot answer your question. I was thrown over his car and came down flat on my back. The knock on my head had me out for quiet a while.

I'll answer this way because I've put plenty of time into thinking about what I would say or do if I ever meet him. But let's not pretend that meeting him weeks after or confronting immediately after would be the same.

I know your asking if I would respond with serious violence or threats of such. I wouldn't be tempted. My injuries were predicted to either kill me or leave me with a severe mental handicap permanently. While a good slap or two may have been in order. I would think that having to live with what he did would be more of a punishment.

I carry a firearm as a means of protection. I hope and pray every time I put it on my belt that I won't need it. I'm confident enough in my personal character that I'm not gonna allow myself to be tempted to be used for anything more than protection.

armed_librarian

I had mentioned that a good friend who is a big gun guy seemed convinced it was something that a gunsmith could fix. I had my doubts so I came here and asked.

Spoke with HK. About $200 will ship it to them. That will include the purchase of a new frame and the labor to disassemble the gun and reassemble it on the new frame. I'll ship it out sometime soon I guess.