HK USP Compact 9mm or Sig P228???

DTown24

I had originally narrowed down my next off duty gun purchase to the Sig P228 and the P239. I went to a gun shop that had both Sigs and an HK USP Compact 9mm (I used to have a USP 45 compact, but sold it cause it was expenzive to shoot). So I am now itching to get a new 9mm to carry off duty. I am glad that I got to put the P239 and P228 side by side, because I really do not like the feel of the P239. I really like the P228 despite it being somewhat large. The dealer then pointed me in the direction of a new USP 9mm Compact. I really liked it (it is a little smaller and a little lighter than the P228), but I cannot decide between the USP Compact 9mm and the P228. Anyone with experience with either or both of these guns? Any issues with the internal safety on the HK's (causing malfunctions, ect)? I greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Sturm

My experience is a little different. A USP in .40 and the SIG 226 and 228 in 9mm. First, I would not pay an equivelant price of a SIG to get a polymer framed pistol from anyone. There is no justifiable reason, and rep. won't cut it. I own a CZ-P01 9mm that I would stack up against either any day of the week. I still routinely shoot the 226 and my partners 228. In my oppinion as far as quality and reliability, ;) the P-01 is the only thing to rival the 228 and my P-01 is more accurate than the 228 of my partner. If it's just between the USP and the 228, I can't see paying a SIG price and not coming away with a SIG! If you like polymer, at least take a look at the XD. As production continues the pistols are just getting better and better. Don't forget the CZ P-01! It might save you a couple of hundred for a pistol that is arguably superior to your 2 choices.

BredanSIG

Sig

My suggestion would be the P228. Customer Service is great should you need it, whereas H&Ks is not very supportive in the Civilian market and can be difficult to get parts and or service.
I once had a 228, but sold it off like a fool for something else...only to sell that as well.
Handle both guns, and see whats more comfortable to YOU. Both are good guns IMHO.