HK USP 9

Eazyeach

My friend has a HK USP 9 for sale. So I need to know if anyone has this gun, do you like it? I'm not going to ask about reliability/durability because it is HK so that would be a pointless conversation.

I have a VP9 that I haven't fallen in love with after 1 range trip. I know the USP is way different though.

Also does $725 sound fair? He said its LNIB with under 200 rds down the pipe.

Mystro

I own every caliber of USP Compacts and have carried a USPc in 40 for almost 20 years now. My wife carries her own USPc 9mm. The gun is tough,reliable, points well and accurate as heck. IMO, I still consider it the DA/SA standard of the polymer world.
I think the price for a full size USP 9mm in new condition should be $650-$675. Did he buy this gun with the $200 rebate from last year??? Mags are expensive so if he has more than 2 mags it's worth more money.

Last edited:

Eazyeach

Mystro, he has 3 mags. Thanks for the reply. and for the testimonial. Obviously you trust it since you've carried for so long.

Mystro

If you already own a VP9, you should get a USP to see where it's dna comes from. The USP is its own animal.

FYI, I took a USPc to Gunsite and it performed flawlessly.

Just a few of my HK"s

They shoot too

Eazyeach

Nice shooting sir. I'm a novice and my pistol groups tend to look more like a shotgun pattern. I'm impressed.

Mystro

The Full Size USP is a big gun and makes a ideal nightstand/range gun. Since its been out for so long, there are a lot of holster options available. Used HK USP in any form are sought after in my area, they don't sit long in the display case at my LGS. $670.00 would be a good price for a mint USP with 3 mags.

TunnelRat

With three mags I'd do $675, so similar to what Mystro said. When the $200 rebates came out in winter of 2014 a lot of people picked up USPs. Couple that with price drops on the P2000 series and cheap P30sks and prices on used HKs have gone down some. In the past $725 would probably be okay, but in my opinion the market doesn't support that these days.

I've owned a dozen HKs with probably 4 or so USP Compacts. I enjoyed them. If you get the USP consider doing a match trigger upgrade at some point. It's a pretty straightforward drop-in procedure that in SA will give you quite a trigger with factory parts.

PSP

A used USP9 at a good price is certainly worth owning. It is probably the softest shooting 9mm I own. I found mine in the local Gander Mtn for a mere $400. Years ago I paid $600 for a new USP9c. These are pistols you can shoot all day... easy on the hand and recoil friendly. The USP and Beretta 92 are my favorite duty sidearms.

I have to say, while I really like HK, if you didn't like or see the value in the VP9, you may not be attracted to the USP. It's a personal choice of course. You may want to rent one at a local range, or borrow a friend's before buying.

TunnelRat

I have to say, while I really like HK, if you didn't like or see the value in the VP9, you may not be attracted to the USP. It's a personal choice of course. You may want to rent one at a local range, or borrow a friend's before buying.

I'm not sure I agree with this. They have considerably different ergonomics and action types.

cslinger

I recently sold a VP9 that I didn't gel with. Love my P2000s and HK45C however. So I agree just because somebody doesn't like the VP series doesn't me they won't like the hammer fired guns or even the P7s which I LOVE.

JDBerg

I had a HK USP 40 and even though I now have an HK P30 9mm that I like a lot better, I kind of wish I still had that USP 40. That price is high for a full size USP, but at least it's a 9mm, and, most importantly, if you're helping out a bud who needs the money, it's the right kind of thing to do.

Eazyeach

Update.

Couldn't talk my buddy down enough. Had to pass. Thanks for all your comments and taking the time to advise me. I knew the TFL crew would come through with some serious knowledge.

TunnelRat

Couldn't talk my buddy down enough. Had to pass. Thanks for all your comments and taking the time to advise me. I knew the TFL crew would come through with some serious knowledge.

If he thinks he can get more than say $675 on a private sale he's dreaming. Best to walk like you did.

1goodshot

I sold mine because it didn't fit my hand well. It is a solid gun that will last a lifetime.
If you like it and shoot it well I would offer $600

Where are you guys seeing them at these prices? Locally, they are asking $750 used when you can find one and about $900 new with night sights. I did a quick run through Gunbroker and didn't see much in the $600 range.

BarryLee

I’ve got a USP40 and its one of my favorites to shoot – accurate and smooth. If you like the gun the price might be a little high, but with three mags and a known provenance it’s probably ok.

TunnelRat

Locally, they are asking $750 used when you can find one and about $900 new with night sights. I did a quick run through Gunbroker and didn't see much in the $600 range.

That's high. I bought a used USP Compact in 9mm for $625 locally 1-2 months back from a gun shop. That was a surprising deal. Even the stores with higher prices never ask for more than $700 used, and those sit for a long time. You can ask for a higher price, but it doesn't mean you'll get it.