HK USP 45 vs SIG 220 vs FN 45 Tactical?

GeorgeF

Posted this on another board, but would like as much advice as possible.

Essentially I am looking for a solid, external hammer .45 platfrom that will have ability to shoot tight groups at 25 yds. Threaded barrel option is also desired for later addition of a suppressor (and extra little bit of length for accuracy). A good trigger would be desirable. To be clear, this will NOT be used for concealed carry.

So far I have been looking at the SIG 220 (can buy aftermarket threaded barrel if necessary), HK 45 Tactical and the FN 45 Tactical.

I handled all three and all fit my (medium to large sized) hand. SIG was narrowest with the single column feed, HK was next and the FN was blockiest, but at least has 4 back straps to choose from.

The one thing that concerned me about the FN was the AGGRESSIVE checkering on the grips. Its like a meat tenderizer - very pointy and I wonder how uncomfortable it would be to shoot. I like the high capacity, the heft and the built in platform for red dot or holo sight, so thats what keeps it in the running. The HK has the O-ring thingie, decent capacity and decent trigger. The SIG has the all metal conctruction, ability to change grips and also decent trigger. Only downside I can think of is the low round count for magazines.

So, that being said, does anyone have advice they could offer? I would love to be able to try these pistols out, but only one friend owns a 220 and he lives 300+ miles away. Any advice or insights would be great.

NWCP

I own the HK USP .45 Tactical and it has been a great pistol at the range. The only way I could carry it, which I don't, would be with a vertical shoulder holster. The match trigger is really nice. It's so nice in fact that I had one installed in both my USP 9mm and USP 40. Having identical triggers in the three different caliber pistols makes consistent shooting a lot easier and cheaper when shooting the 9mm. I'd get the HK if you can find one for a decent price, not that it will be cheap, but is worth every penny you'll drop on one. CDNN has had some good prices on them in the past.

pogo2

Prefer the Sig P220

I have two of the guns on your list, the USP45 and the Sig P220. They are both good, but I can shoot the Sig better. It has a very smooth trigger and more weight. My Sig is the all steel P220ST model, which weighs about the same as a full size 1911. It handles recoil very well. The USP has a larger capacity magazine and is light enough that it can be carried easily. But for a range gun I like the P220.

Two45s01.jpg