HK Slide Problem

VMUTH

Hello everyone. Need help. Went out yesterday to do some target shooting. Haven't shot the full size 9mm USP in a while to brought it for some fun. When the slide is back and I put a fully loaded clip into the gun the slide automatically releases and the round is chambered. If I place the clip in VERY gently, it doesn't automatically slide forward. What's the problem and what's the fix and will it be expensive.

Thanks,

NMGlocker

its not a problem, so there is no fix, so its really cheap. :D
My Walther P99 and my Glock 19 occasionally do the same thing, don't look at it as a problem but as a feature. All that is happening is the fresh magazine (not clip) is bumping the slide stop lever and releasing the slide.

M1911

HKs are known to do that from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have it pointed in a safe direction while loading.

M1911

rocko

Yep, this "feature" is even listed in the manual. Perfectly normal for a USP, although you usually have to insert the mag with a bit more force to get it to happen.

Rocko

New_comer

although you usually have to insert the mag with a bit more force to get it to happen.
I would have to disagree with you.

Even if i slam any of the two mags in my USP9f, i haven't yet been able to release the slide stop lever to load a round. The way i see it, the lever catch/slide notch of Vmuth's unit is somehow rounded/eroded allowing for unintentional slide release by even a slight jarring.:(

I personally don't like this to happen to my gun. I prefer deliberately releasing the slide on a live round, much safer IMO.

Be safe,

New_comer:cool:

M1911

Well, whether you consider it a feature or a bug, you can't claim that HK doesn't tell you about it. I just bought an HK USPc .40 S&W. On page 23, in a box, in red ink, is the following:

--------------------------------------
WARNING

Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into the USP Compact may cause the pistol's slide to clsoe, chambering a cartridge and making the USP ready to fire...
--------------------------------------

Read your manuals, folks. There's a reason they come with the pistol.

M1911

.357SIG

M1911, that's true, but you'e forgetting the part that says "forcefully". If it happens when the magazine is inserted with the normal force, then there is a problem. Forcefully inserting the magazine is slamming it up the mag well with enough force to drive a nail through a 2x4, like some folks here use. The proper way is to push it until it clicks into place and is secure. If I wanted to close the slide on my USP like that, I'd have to slam it hard enough to crack the baseplate with the heel of my hand.:eek:

My guess is a bad slide stop/release or a weakened recoil spring. (Porbably the lide release.)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sounds like a bug they decided to "spin" into a feature rather than fix. Not the first time and won't be the last.

Jim

New_comer

Vmuth,

Give your local HK armorer a call. That's one "feature" that maybe actually be an indication of worn-out parts. IMO, it is an invitation for an AD. How many rounds have you had thru this pistol anyway?:confused:

New_comer

blades67

Your "normal" may be some one elses "forcefully" and that would account for the slide lock lever slipping its catch.

Last edited:

New_comer

M1911,

I would be grateful if u could try it with your USPc. ;) I read that particular message in the manual too. And i tried it, just for the heck of knowing if it does happen. I'm no gelatin, but hard as i might, i ended up with a tender left palm, but no slide release.
If I place the clip in VERY gently
His account of what led to the inadvertent slide release is already suspect. To overcome the friction between the slide notch and lever, with a strong spring action pressing on the mating surface, would take a LOT of force. But if it were to release easily like a mousetrap, that should be a cause for concern, unless of course you prefer the release action to behave that way...

Regards,

New_comer:cool:

Chipperman

You can get just about ANY semi-auto to do this. The key is not only how hard you insert the mag, but also the orientation of the muzzle while you do it.

The big question is how hard are you inserting the mag? If the slide releases when you just insert the mag "normally" (ie with some force, but not slapping it in), then it is potentially a problem.

Does the slide lock back when the mag is empty?

Gunhead

This happens only with 1st generation (pre 1995-1996) USPs. On the 2nd generation HK pistols the slide will not go forward when you slam the magazine in.

IMHO the "automatic slide release" is not a good feature on any handgun.

NMGlocker

IMHO the "automatic slide release" is not a good feature on any handgun.
Personally I like this "feature" on my Walther P99, speeds up "slide lock reloads". My P99 does this 95% of the time.
My Glock 19 does this about half the time, My Glock 17 never does it, and my Sig P228 does it about 50/50. My guess is that its not a problem with his USP, just because his does it and someone elses doesn't, that can be attributed to manufacturing tolerances etc.
IMO, it is an invitation for an AD. How many rounds have you had thru this pistol anyway?
AD?....only if you have your finger on the trigger like a dumb-ass.

Morgan

This happens only with 1st generation (pre 1995-1996) USPs. On the 2nd generation HK pistols the slide will not go forward when you slam the magazine in.

Not true, Sir. The full-size .40 and 9mm pistols do this, regardless of when made. Note that the compacts and full-size .45 do not.

It also seems to have something to do with the MOMENTUM of the magazine, as an empty one with just a snap cap requires a very healthy smack, while a mag full of 180gr .40 does it with a firm insertion.

FWIW, I've seen Glocks and SIGs do this too. I like it.

Gunhead

Morgan,

"Not true, Sir. The full-size .40 and 9mm pistols do this, regardless of when made. Note that the compacts and full-size .45 do not."

- My "KK" marked USP9F and USP40F never did this in 9000+ rounds - not even on the hottest shooting match. Should I start to slam home mags with a hammer? :rolleyes:

- None of my 4-5 shooting buddies with USP9 Compacts and USP9/40 Experts experienced this.

- None of the 9-10 2nd gen. USP pistols I tested for our magazine (from 9mm to .45) produced this.

Please check out the difference between a 1st and 2nd gen USP before saying not true.

New_comer

AD?....only if you have your finger on the trigger like a dumb-ass.
Yep, this "feature" is even listed in the manual. Perfectly normal (???!!!) for a USP
Personally I like this "feature" on my Walther P99, speeds up "slide lock reloads".
AND FINALLY
WARNING
Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into the USP Compact may cause the pistol's slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the USP ready to fire...
Gentlemen,

That's the reason this behavior was encapsulated under a WARNING clause, and not touted as a special FEATURE that the manufacturer deliberately designed into the product. IMO, it's not supposed to do that under normal operation. and it is my understanding too, that in any manual of arms, any deviance in the operating behavior of a tool that could maim or kill should be a cause for great concern, if only to safeguard yourself and those around you.

As i mentioned earlier, if a shooter intended to have his gun deliberately function that way to save precious time in a match, so be it. At least, he had trained mind and body to expect the gun to perform that way. But for others, newbies especially, unexpected behavior in a firearm MAY result to unexpected reactions, AD's included, i pray not.

Be safe,

New_comer :cool:

Archer1440

Quoth the Gunhead:

"This happens only with 1st generation (pre 1995-1996) USPs."

Hmmm. How do you explain the fact that this occurs in my date code AA (2000) USP Tactical, my date code AA (2000) USP .45C, and my date code AB (2001) USP .45C ???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Personally it doesn't bother me in the least, saves time in a tac reload.

Glock236

My previous brand new from the factory(in 1998) USP .40 did the same thing, and I remember that heading in the owners manual.