HK SL8-1 rifle

twoinchgroup52

Does anyone have hands-on experience with this futeristic, semi-auto, plastic rifle?? If so, your response respecting its advantages and drawbacks will be most appreciated.
Sincerely, Twoinchgroup52:) :)

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Nice ergo, nice accuracy, nice reliability.
Nasty price tag, nasty proprietary magazines limited to a nasty 10 rounds.

For a few bucks less you can get an M-96 that is IMHO the finest .223 autorifle on the planet. It takes every magazine that the AR can take.

Gary H

George might have something there..

I've had mine since they were introduced. It is very accurate. Never had a reliability issue. I find the color to be rather awful. My real complaint is the thumbhole stock. The web between thumb and index finger hates this gun. I've a rather large hand and reaching the safety isn't comfortable. I guess that the looks and the ergonomics had to be just god awful in order for this gun to be semii-PC. The ten round limitation isn't really an issue. I've other guns should the Chinese decide to invade rather than use nukes.

www.glock19.com

A buddy of mine has one it is his praire dog rifle.
I've shot it quite a bit heres my opinions

Cons ,No heat sheilds gets hot kinda quick., price, 10rd mags
pros , It is very accurate,quite reliable

brouhaha

Your answer had nothing to do with the question scoops.

People complain about the 10rd capacity of this rifle, but it's not meant to be an assault rifle. It's made for target shooting. With this purpose in mind, 10 rounds are more than adequate.
If you don't like the color, there are ways to fix that. ARS is painting them black, and Keith Buckner on HKPRO has discovered a better way. Instead of painting, they are dyed. This means the color won't scratch off.
If the ergonomics aren't for you, then there's not much that can be done at the time to fix it.
The rifle shoots VERY clean. I have about 500 rounds thru mine with no cleaning, and the receiver looks almost as clean as when I bought it. Try that with an AR.
The iron sights are fairly coarse, so a scope is probably needed, certainly to get the most accuracy from the rifle.
If you don't like the price, you can always get a slightly used one. I was able to get mine from someone in Kali that didn't want to register it. He hadn't ever shot it. I think I paid $1K.

It's fun, lightweight, clean, and accurate.
HTH!