HK P7

Dr45ACP

Does anyone have experience with this firearm?

How does the squeeze cocker work exactly? I mean after it is sqeezed, is the trigger let off single action? If so, how much is the trigger pull?

And why is the MSRP on this firearm so much more than other HK products?

Opinions please...

Sam Norton

Hi
When you release the squeeze cocker it acks like a decocker on a Sig,etc. and lowers the hammer. If you were to take off the grip panels and the slide you would see why they cost so much. Do a search on HK-P7 and you will find all the info you need. I love mine.

Best Regards
SamN

PJ11B3VF7

After you squeeze the squeeze cocker the gun is cocked and it will fire single action. The pull on the two I own is about 4.5 lbs. If you want second strike capability if you have a FTF, then all you need to do is release your grip and squeeze again, thus cocking it. IMSHO that's a nice feature, even though I prefer Tap, Rack, Bang. :)

I love my P7M8's

LawDog

Staff Emeritus
The striker is at rest until the squeeze-cocker is depressed -- somewhat similar to the hammer being down on a 1911. Once you grip the pistol, and depress the squeeze-cocker, the striker is brought back to full-cock position -- again, somewhat analgous to the hammer being brought back to full-cock on the 1911.

The difference being that when you release your grip on the P7 (for whatever reason), the striker is lowered to the rest position.

Also, the squeeze-cocker functions as the slide release. Once your P7 empties and locks the slide back, drop the mag, insert a new mag, relax your grip slightly then tighten your grip and the slide slams forward, stripping a new round into the chamber. No muss, no fuss and totally ambidextrous.

This is from memory and from an old P7 pistol, so you'll want to check my facts, but I think my P7 requires about 16-18 pounds to depress the cocker, about two pounds to keep the cocker depressed and about three pounds to trip the trigger.

LawDog

George Helser

P7 bonus: Safety

Dr45ACP,

The P7 is very safe against accidental discharge because you have to very deliberately squeeze the grip to fire it.
Equally important is the low probability that someone unfamiliar with a P7 can fire it. I have handed my unloaded P7 to shooting friends and asked them to see if they could fire it. They could not. It is unlikely a child who picked up a P7 would be able to fire it.

Safe shooting!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The combination...

...of the extremely natural grip angle, low bore axis and sweet trigger pull make the P7 one of those pistols that it's just easy to be accurate with. It's like pointing your finger and *pow*, a hole appears. Plus, the level of fit and finish is top-drawer. All in all, a pleasant pistol to own as well as shoot.

Did I mention that I love mine? :D

hipwr40

easy to shoot

Tamara (or anyone for that matter), can you think of anything else that is as easy to shoot well as a P7? I've shot Glocks, Rugers, BHP, HK USP, Makarovs, 1911s, etc.....my new P7 is by far the best shooting, easiest shooting pistol I've fired. Just wondering of any other "must buy" or at least "must experience" pistols for the future.

Cawdor

I liked the Steyr M9 that I had: Soft recoil, very little muzzle flip. I sold it because it jammed too much (11 times in 1,700 rounds), and because it occasionally would bounce brass off my head.

PRIDEFANS

I think it was the August issue of American Rifleman magazine that had an article and exploded view of the P7. I got mine from an old Army buddy about two years ago who got it from a NJ cop who had it teflon-coated. I think that article said it takes 13 pounds to pre-cock, 3 pounds to maintain pre-cock, and 2 to 3 pounds trigger pull. German engineering at it's best! My favorite carry piece. I would love to get hold of a P7M13.