hk p7 patent question

porkskin

didn't i hear that the patent on these was close to expiring and that other makers could begin manufacturing this weapon at lower costs. anyone hear anything on that? source was m. ayoob about 4-5 years ago

Jim Watson

I don't know about the squeeze cocking mechanism, but there have been gas delayed blowback firearms both before and after the P7. Which part of the gun are you interested in, or do you require the whole package?

Jim Watson

Don't hold your breath waiting for a cheap P7 clone, even with patent expiration. The market is not so large as for somebody else to be in a rush to tool up. Which would be expensive. There are a lot of stamped parts in a P7 which are cheap to make... after you have the presses and dies paid for. And still a good deal of machining to do, which can be done rapidly... on multimillion dollar CNC centers.

Sell off some junk and get a nice pistol.

Greg Bell

I think another manufacturer would be wise to try to incorporate the squeeze cocking mechanism into a new model. Although it isn't for everybody, neither is anything else. It is a neat concept that allows a gun with a single action trigger to be safely carried, completely uncocked.

GHB