HK P7: Opinions Wanted

TunnelRat

Hi all.
A local gunshop near me recently took in a HK P7. Graded 90%, comes with two mags, no case. Called and got some more details. Date code on the pistol is IA, so 1980. It is a standard P7 with the heel release, not an M8. It has some holster wear, but not a lot (hence 90%). Doesn't appear to have been refinished. Import location is marked as Arlington, VA. They're asking $925. I almost never see P7s come up for sale near me. This will be the second one I've ever seen in the metal, as it were, and the first I ever held. Hoping to stop by today and take a look.

I don't want to sound like a pansy, but I see a lot of conflicting reports about heat from the P7s. I never had issues shooting full house loads out of my S&W Model 19, but you read some reports of heat "sizzling through the trigger guard" and others saying it's not really an issue. I'm not expecting this thing to go through thousands of rounds in a sitting, prob 50-100 rds a weekend with a break in-between. Same time I don't particularly want burn marks all over my trigger finger. Are these rumors just a lot of smoke?

Lastly, is the P7 something worth owning? Is it one of those guns that everyone should try to own at one point or another? If we're honest it's a heavy little gun with a limited capacity. Magazines are expensive and parts aren't overly easy to find. At the same time from all accounts its a tank and a tack driver rolled into one and many consider it HK's best offering ever.

Thoughts appreciated,
-TR

hodaka

I like mine. It is an M8. The trigger does get warm after 50 rounds fired quickly. Not enough to worry about in my opinion. Very accurate and easily concealed. Magazines are not hard to find but they are around $60. I prefer a 1911 but the P7 is my favorite 9mm. My wife likes it and shoots it well. Decent price (more or less) and they will never be worth less than they are now.

absolutely love mine. rarely carry it anymore. rarely shoot it at the range. it's not really a range gun. it's designed as a carry weapon that is rarely fired except to practice enough to be proficient. when i carried it, i used to put 50 rounds through it every time i was at the range. doing this, it never heated up enough to even notice, let alone burn. the only time i take it out anymore is to show it off. i let a few people put a mag or two through it, and then put it away.

i know if i ever find myself in a position to need to make a precision shot under pressure, i'll wish it was my p7 psp in my holster and not my walther pps. i'm good with the walther when i concentrate, but the p7 is just so natural. it feels like second nature. i don't really even use the sights and i can get double tap head shots while quick drawing from a holster at 7 yds.

mine is considered "Grade A," and i purchased it locally at Top Gun Supply when they had a bunch come in. at the time i had about 20 to choose from, so i picked the best. i walked out with it for $700. this was probably 3-4 years ago. since then i have replaced only the grips.

046e86a6-23c0-441a-8f5a-f29f18269f91_zpsbcd48c48.jpg

it can be seen here next to my other carry guns.

IMG_20130309_094702_zpsb94c1969.jpg

IMG_20130309_094606_zpsaf990dc1.jpg

Last edited:

PSP

That's a fairly high price for a older P7, especially at 90%. There are two types of mag release on these early P7s, one that protrudes from the frame, (see the photo above), and one that fits flush to the frame. Both work just fine but the flush release is considered superior for carry purposes.

Heat is in fact an issue after 50 or so rounds, especially if shot rapidly. 100 rounds in a row would be hard to get through without discomfort... not a burning heat, but certainly hot enough to make you stop.

Great gun, worth owning, but I don't think I'd pay that much.

Last edited:

Sixer

Yeah... Like PSP said... that's a bit steep.

I bought my P7 about 5 yrs ago when CDNN was doing a special. I paid $499 for a grade A gun. I wish I would have bought 2 or 3 at that price!! You may not find a deal like that... but you can definitely find something better than $900+

mavracer

I'll echo what others have said, it's defiantly worth owning. heat isn't an issue unless you run 3 or 4 mags as fast as you can. That price seems a little high unless it cones with a couple extra mags they sweeten the deal an easy $50 each.

BigD_in_FL

I have a P7 PSP, mine came with the box and takedown tool and 4 mags for 800, (and from a Gander of all places), so I would shoot for that amount. Mine is one of, if not THE, most accurate handgun I own. As a LH shooter, this gun is completely ambidextrous and the only button is for takedown - awesome pistol. Mags can be an issue (finding them that is) so go for as many as you can get out of them for that price - like 4 or more as they can go for 50-75 each on the auction sites

Pilot

The P7, and it's brother P7M8 are some of the finest semi-autos ever made. The heat issue is really a non-issue. If you can get it for a little less $750 or so, do it. They are well worth the money.

presspics

It's a good gun. I would wait for a P7M8 rather than the older P7 PSP like the one you are looking at. The PSP gets a bit warmer in the trigger guard than the M8 because it doesn't have the M8's heat shield. Parts, sights, mags and holsters are easier to find for the M8 as well.

The price seems to be a bit high as well. There are better deals on P7 PSP's out there.

Joe_Pike

That seems too high to me also for a PSP. With that being said, it seems like the M8 and M13 variations are becoming the Pythons of the semi-auto world.

Ace_Breaker

My Grade A PSP and P7m13 are the finest weapons I have ever owned. BTW, I actually preferred my PSP over my m8. I ended up selling the m8. Heat from shooting has never been an issue for me.

aroundchicago

The price seems a little steep for a PSP but since the P7's are highly sought after and out of production, the price will only go north. I have a P7M8 and even the M8 gets hot after a few mags. On the upside, it's low bore axis and it's gas delayed blowback system seem to tame recoil a lot, making any P7 an excellent shooter.

TunnelRat

I didn't get to see it today, hopefully tomorrow.

While I understand what those who have gotten better deals in the past are saying, I'm not sure that's really indicative of the market these days. The $700 P7s of old are long gone. On gunbroker $900 is the minimum price. I know that's a high price market to being with, but I almost never seem them locally. This is the first I have seen in 3 years. If it's in the condition stated I don't doubt for a second they'll sell it. They're just drying up.

Tejicano

The HK P7 is one of the guns on my short list which I would buy at any reasonable price. I am not a 9mm fan but to me the P7 is the right size for that cartridge and would be a great CCW piece.

I would probably bid $825 and pay $900 if I could get it down to that. They are out of production and I would bet the prices will only go up from here.

I have paid "too much" - according to the internet - for a number of guns before (USFA Peacemaker, Imbel FAL uppers, Saiga-12, etc) only to see the values double/triple later. I'm not saying the P7 value will double but I would bet $900 that in a couple years they will be worth more than keeping the money in a bank account.

tirod

I think their prices have bottomed out and are going up. I've given up finding an affordable one and put something else on layaway I can buy.

Once a gun is out of production, they start depreciating from use and very little can be done to make them keep their value. One thing is the design - which is extremely unique for the P7. Another is demand, and their reputation hasn't diminished. As shooters age they start picking up guns they had to let get by them. Just like muscle cars, there were those who could buy them, and there are the legions more who wanted them and couldn't.

I fully expect someone to come out with a reproduction, hopefully it will be done better than the HK91's were. It wouldn't even need the quirky squeeze cocker, all new it could be in the $550 class and the CCW market would buy every one.

kinoons

I really like my p7m8, but I will admit to being biased -- it was my grandfathers gun. I shoot it very well, and it is just about the safest carry gun out there. With that being said:

Heat is an issue. After 6 or so magazines in short order it got uncomfortable. I could keep shooting if I needed to, but chose not to. Also, size for weight, it's a heavy gun. When compared to my PPS it's no contest.

The $700 P7s of old are long gone. On gunbroker $900 is the minimum price.
I can vouch for that. The last run of meh-condition PSP's I saw were going for $899 at retail. That was a couple of years ago, and they're not getting any more plentiful.

TunnelRat

I do appreciate the info on the heat. Sounds like it is worth noting. Might be a good reason to wear gloves when I take it to the range. As for it being practical in terms of size and weight for capacity, that I do know. I have an HK P30, P2000, and an HK45c. In truth the P2000 and HK45c are easily more practical for carry. But there's a part of me that is nostalgic at times, and sometimes it's okay to not be practical and tactical. Sometimes it's okay to enjoy guns for the engineering and the history behind them. Anyway, we'll see.

kinoons

Yeah don't get me wrong, even if there was not the family attachment I have no thoughts whatsoever of getting rid of my P7M8. It truly is a great pistol.

kcub

I just bought one with a nickel slide. Heat is not an issue any more or less than any other pistol.

I've wanted one for years and always thought they were too expensive. I was always stupid wrong. Go ahead and buy it if you want one.

It Is not my favorite HK. That would be the light lem P30.