HK P30 Trigger Upgrades

HistoryJunky

So I have owned my P30 V3 for about 6 months or so now. I think I've put about 500 rounds through it.

The trigger leaves a little to be desired. DA is pretty much what you'd expect and I don't really care that much about it.

I do however find the SA trigger and reset to be pretty lackluster.

Just trying to feel out the options for potential trigger upgrades, and if they are worth what you pay for them. I'm not made of money and it would be hard to justify trigger work on this firearm if it wasn't a substantial improvement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

Another member here has a pretty complete list:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6762980
Look at post #52.

The only other thing I'd add to what he has is the light firing pin block spring. Depending on when your pistol was produced, however, it likely already has that. Pretty much all of the springs can be found at HKparts.net, though you can order USP hammer springs from Wolff for a fair amount less and they are sized the same. The reset kit is through grayguns.com.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDBerg

IMHO you should put more live and / or dry fire rounds on the P30 before you decide that the DA pull needs work.

I can vouch for the Gray Guns Reduced Reset Carry Perfection pkg, because a friend bought a used P30S with this work already done to it, and it is a great carry trigger;

https://grayguns.com/reduced-reset-carry-perfection-package/

I don’t have this on my own P30, and I can live with the DA trigger on mine, mainly because I practice thumb-cocking the hammer on draws out of my holster. I don’t recommend particular gunsmith trigger work unless I have firsthand experience with a gunsmith modified trigger like this one.So its your call as to whether you think it’s worth the cost and time involved to get this work done to a stock P30, but (again, IMHO) this is definitely icing on the cake for an excellent carry gun.

HistoryJunky

Thanks for all the input guys. I will put some more rounds through the gun. I don't have any issues with the trigger, just think it could be better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Update:

We're good to go. P30L with the Trijicon HD XR sights, Gray Gun Short Reset Kit, Nickel plated sear spring, Match hammer spring @ 10lbs, and light trigger spring.

Most importantly, a LOT of dry and live fire since the original thread. Hands healed up very well. Right thumb nail looks funny and feels funny if you press on top and left hand is fine. All is in working order.

Now, I'm effortlessly as good or maybe better with my Glock 17. Which is stock other than Wilson Combat night sights and an Overwatch Precision Falx trigger. This uses a factory Glock OEM trigger bar. All that's different is the shoe.

Both guns are capable in my hands of head shots at 25 yards and center of chest hits at 25+ hards. It takes a little more effort with the P30L in Double-Action. But it's still manageable and of course, easy in Single-Action.

Another thing that I realized as well, is the parts do better and better on the HK once broken in. The trigger pull feels a lot more smooth than when I first installed all the parts.

Also had a one on one session on marksmanship at a local range. I stepped away from that realm for a few years to do the tactical, force on force, up close and personal gun fighting, that I didn't keep honing in on my distance marksmanship.

Feeling good.

This is me! :D lol, it definitely could be better. Went from SIG Sauer triggers tuned by Bruce Gray to a stock Heckler and Koch P30L. So I totally understand. Shoot it some more and if you decide you want to change or clean it up a bit, DM me. I'll guide you.

TunnelRat

The part swaps are pretty easy and most of them have photo guides on HKPro. If you do need help, post in the thread and then it serves as a reference for other people who have the same question. Not that you can't pm as well.

TunnelRat

He doesn't need a new thread, it could be part of this one. Again, part of the point of this is as a reference for others, imo.

If you really want him to slide into your DMs that's surely up to him. I just thought it would be interesting content.

Nah. They're very easy. There's only one piece that is a pain in the rear and that's the trigger spring. But he won't be needing that part to be swapped with the goal he has in mind.

I'll be in the DMs helping him out.

TunnelRat

HK trigger work is not as easy as described :)

My experience is they are the most labor intensive. Can't think of one more...
Having worked on SIGs, CZ, HKs, Berettas, etc, I'd disagree, if by work we mean swapping parts (which is what has been discussed). Really the trigger return spring is the hardest part. HKparts sells a tool that goes a long way with that. Another tip is to cut the straw from say a spray lubricant and use little sections to help the legs of the spring catch on the frame.