HK P2000 Review in Gun World

Waterengineer

I have a few questions about the HK article on p.48 of Gon World, March 2006.

The artcle stated that, "The four-month-long test included testing for performance in sand and dust and in extreme hot and cold temperatures, as well as for reliability, accuracy using the most powerful ammunition available for each caliber."

Has anyone here (LEO or other) participate in the evaluation and selection of firearms for a department ot agency?

What exactly are some of these test the arms are put through?

Also, why were the three calibers 9x19, .40 S$W, and .357 Mag chosen?

It seems to me there are other calibers that could have been viable. The article also reads that these calibers were preselected by the Department of Homeland Security. Is there some Fed reason for these calibers only?

mete

Those three cartridges are common LE cartridges AND can be used on the same gun platform. 45acp requires a larger gun.

garrettwc

Those three cartridges are common LE cartridges AND can be used on the same gun platform. 45acp requires a larger gun.
And if my memory is correct, that's the only 3 calibers the P2000 comes in.

Waterengineer

But that's the question

Garret/Crue:

Thanks is the question or the related question. Did HK manufacture the three chosen calibers on that frame because that was the request of the FED, i.e., chosen ahead of time, or did the frame come in these three calibers and that is what the FED chose.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg thing.

- Craig

mete

And companies are scrambling to get the 600,000 unit gov't contract for military pistols in 45ACP !!! :D :rolleyes:

garrettwc

Did HK manufacture the three chosen calibers on that frame because that was the request of the FED, i.e., chosen ahead of time, or did the frame come in these three calibers and that is what the FED chose.

That's how the gun came, and the FED chose that particular gun, then allowed their agents some leeway in choosing which caliber they shot best.

obiwan1

Actually the Feds chose caliber first and then looked for the appropriate platform. CBP (Customs and the former INS, and Border Patrol) is standardizing on the .40. INS and BP have very good experience with the .40 going back almost 10 years. The joint venture (CBP - Customs and Border Protection) decided that to stick with .40. Since the Beretta contract expired and the company isn't making any more of that model, a new selection was done. Rumor is that the testing was brutal but I don't have details. Many thousands of rounds (10k I believe) per specimin were fired in all types of conditions. The last 2 standing were the H&K and SIG. Uniformed officers don't get a choice of what to carry. I'm not sure about plain clothed officers. Bottom line: I'm comfortable with the testing criterion and results. :cool: