HK MP5A5 .22 Fired out of Battery, damaged gun

IXLR8

I have had trouble with an HK MP5A5 .22 that I bought in January. It has made 2 trips to the range and fired about 350 rounds total. Immaculately cleaned after the first trip.

After about 100 rounds a round exploded in the receiver. The bolt is stuck halfway in the cycle. My best guess is that it fired out of battery. I contacted Umarex about warranty. They offer a 90 day warranty, but you must produce a computer printed receipt! I have the original receipt from a dealer, but it is not computer printed. I sent them a copy to see if it is still eligible and have not heard back.

It is troubling that a manufacturer would only offer a 90 day warranty, and then place conditions on it. Umarex is not impressing me very much at this point.

follow up:
I emailed a copy of my receipt to Umarex. They said that it was NOT sufficient. Umarex said that they will require a copy of the 4473 to warranty the gun, with the approval number. The receipt had a store name and address pre-printed on it. The name of the salesman, the phone number for the store, which has a nice storefront.

I have contacted Umarex 12 times by email and they failed to supply an RMA#.

A quick check of the Umarx website reveals that according their policy, only a receipt is required.

According to the Umarex website:
UNITED STATES CUSTOMERS:
Call Umarex USA (479) 646-4210 and ask for the Service Department. If it is determined a return is necessary, you will be issued a Return Authorization Number. Write this number boldly on the box. Include your name, address, phone number and original receipt with the product. Return prepaid to:
Umarex USA
Attn: Service Dept
7700 Chad Colley Boulevard
FORT SMITH, AR 72916
CANADA CUSTOMERS:
For Warranty Repair: Please call Umarex USA Service Dept (479-646-4210 X7) to receive a Return Authorization (RA) number. You will then be provided with the address of an authorized repair facility in Canada. Shipping charges to the repair facility are not covered under warranty. Shipping charges from the repair facility back to the consumer are listed in the warranty documents included with the gun. A check for the appropriate amount of S&H must accompany the gun to the repair facility. A copy of your original computer generated purchase receipt (no hand written receipts), a note detailing the particular issue with the gun, and your contact information is to be included with the package. Please write the RA# on this note and on the outside of the package.
For Non-Warranty Repair: Consumers may contact the repair centers listed below for servicing of Umarex USA airguns.

It looks like the people at Umarex do not know what their company policies are! Only Canadians must supply a computer printed receipt. I guess they think Texas is part of Canada!

The original hand written receipt should be sufficient. I still have not received an RMA. They contacted the business that sold me the gun and verified that I purchased it there.

Umarex buyer beware.

Last edited:

IXLR8

Umarex did correct their previous email and say that this firearm does come with a one year warranty. It is less than 90 days old.

Ridge_Runner_5

Still, they are making you jump through a lot of hoops. At least ATI will say no problem and have you send the gun in, and they'll fix it no questions asked most of the time.

HKFan9

Did you try calling Umarex's customer service? I have talked to them numerous times and they were always a great help. We call them a lot from the gun shop I work at and they are always helpful. I would try that.. or have the shop that sold you the gun contact them.

I have the same gun and it has been flawless.... I enjoy it, I hope yours gets repaired.

Also Umarex is run by Walther... which is run by S&W... try contacting them.

BPowderkeg

Umarex Colt AR-15 "almost lookalike" also is a piece of crap ! i only shot mine about 100 rounds and had three fire out of battery, plus several other problems, i was going to take it up with Umarex, but decided to immediately take it to my local gun shop where i bought it and traded it for a S&W M&P 15-22, i have also had several "fire out of battery" with the Ceiner conversions.

IXLR8, i do hope you get your problem resolved, it's really the cats scat when you think you are getting a quality firearm and it turns out to be nothing but a pain in the ass !!

HKFan9

Just curious as to what type of ammo you were using and where you had the adjustment set at for the ammo when you had the round fire out of battery.

I had my MP5-22 out today and I fired two Federal Champion Value packs with no issues. Each pack is 525 rounds so I fired 1050 rounds today.

There is an adjustment screw in the bolt of these guns you can adjust depending on the pressure of the ammo you are firing, I wonder if you never adjusted it properly for the ammunition you were firing to have such a bad failure with it.

Hope it gets worked out.

Fishbed77

Also Umarex is run by Walther... which is run by S&W... try contacting them.

Actually, Umarex is the parent company of Walther.

S&W is the importer of Walther firearms into the United States, and provides warranty service for Walther-made and some Umarex-made firearms marketed as Walthers (such as the P22).

S&W does NOT run Walther or Umarex.