HK Jamming Issue (Fixed)

Gahaha

Previously I made a thread about my experience with buying an HK USP Compact 9mm. The gun jammed about 70% of the time and was horrendous to shoot. I got a lot of responses, a good majority being that the jam was caused by "limp wristing".

Long story short I sent it back to HK. (Was about to update thread yesterday but it was locked :|)

Today I got my USP back, looks like the issue was with the extractor being too tight and hanging onto the round a little longer causing stovepipes or FTE. Went to the range straight away, ran 100 American Eagle 9mm FMJ 124gr, 100 PMC FMJ 9mm 115gr, 100 Remington FMJ 147gr, and 40 or so Remington JHP 124gr.

Had no issues with 124gr or above. The gun ran smoothly and was extremely accurate. I was able to dig out the bullseye at 15yds rapid firing. I'm actually impressed with how well it shot, tighter groupings than my Springfield XDM 3.8. No FTF even if I rack the slide slowly or ride it a little bit.

Had it stovepipe once with the PMC 9mm 115gr but I was purposely limp wristing to see if I can get it to jam, it was very tough to, I literally had no grip on the gun for almost 100 rounds and could only induce one stovepipe. Being the skeptical person that I am I did everything I could to see if I can get it to jam but 1 stovepipe was all I could manage in almost 400 rounds.

I can't imagine any modern firearm jamming can be contributed 100% to limp wristing as it took me a lot of effort to even get it to jam now. Maybe with 1911s that have extremely tight tolerances but aside from that I truly believe I can give my USP to a scrawny 8 year old and not have it jam or stovepipe. It actually looked pretty funny because my first few targets were blank sheets since I wasn't really aiming and just wanted to test to see if I can get the gun to jam again.

Anyhow having dealt with CS from many manufacturers HK is hands down the best. I actually got my USP back pretty quick considering I sent it in over Christmas and their range was not even open until Jan 5th or so.

Sorry for not updating thread, I did not have any updates and was very busy over the holidays. I was advised by CS that range was closed until Jan 5th or so, and considering the amount of work their smiths had to do to catch up (after Christmas and New Year) plus the shipping time, I got my USP back pretty quick.

Last edited:

CPO15

Thanks for the info; glad it was fixed for you and it sounds like you are now happy with the gun. Enjoy it!

Snyper

I can't imagine any modern firearm jamming can be contributed 100% to limp wristing as it took me a lot of effort to even get it to jam now.
It's not realistic to compare your HK results equally to all handguns, and especially to any small, lightweight blow back designs
Many are easy to jam simply by limp wristing, and few are the same quality as HK

Glad to hear yours was a minor problem and an easy fix

SSGN_Doc

Glad to hear about the CS. Several years ago HK customer service sucked unless you were sending a gun in from a police or other large armory. Seemed like they only focused on large contract purchasers. Glad they have upped their game and take care of individuals as well as the volume buyers.

bamaranger

????

Did HK replace the extractor and advise you of same? Was the extractor tension issue you describe per HK?

"Stovepipes" are not something I would primarlily associate with a faulty extractor............

but.....I am glad your pistol is up and running.