History question about the Browning M1919

Gholam

I'm new to this forum, so some background: I'm currently active duty in Israel Defense Forces, Air Force. I've trained with M16A1/M203, FN MAG, 52mm mortar, and hand grenades (training level 03). I've also been digging into firearms history for the last year.

Here's the question. There's a medium machine gun used by IDF (though it's in last stages of being phased out, my unit is one of the very few that are still using it) that looks very similar to a Browning M1919A4, but it fires 7.62x51mm ammo instead of the .30-06. Also, it uses links different from the currently standart M13, which leads me to believe it's a conversion. Ammo boxes containing belts for it are marked "7.62 Browning". Question: was there a mass conversion program from .30-06 to .308 for the M1919A4, and if yes, when was it done, and did it keep the original links or go over to M13 ones?

Well, I can't answer your questions conclusively, but I've seen M1919 style Browning guns in 8mm and 7.62 NATO as well as .30-06.

I think the 8mm and 7.62 ones MAY have been made by FN for European contracts.

Hkmp5sd

The Browning M1919A4 was like you said in .30-06. They never manufactured a variant for the 7.62x51 NATO round. Several of these guns were rechambered to fire the NATO round and that is what you have.

The NATO version was (and still is) used in many countries including Israel, Canada, UK, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Denmark and Iran. Obviously there was a mass conversion, but I don't know when that happened.

Scarborough

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger it probably is'nt the M-73. I think we pulled the last of them in back in 79 and thankfully took the torches to em.

Steven Mace

Gholam, I belive yor're refering to the Mark 1-1 Model 0 machine gun. These were actually rechambered M1919A4's intended for the U.S. Navy. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Kharn

The 1919A4 was originally designed for .30-06, but they can easily be converted to .308 and 8mm by changing the feed plate and the barrel. Lots of people are buying demilled 1919A4 kits (in .308) and converting them to be semi auto so they can legally own them in the US.

Kharn