History of AR15 questions

dvdcrr

I was trying to think back on the way things were in the 1980s for ar15's. Weren't there only 2 or 3 makers back then? And what was the cost in dollars back then (1980's dollars.) Thank you

I only recall Colt, Olympic Bushmaster

zukiphile

Armalite back then too, iirc. My recollection is that a Bushmaster could be had for $800, but that an Armalite was well over $1,000. Olympic made a lot of odd things like pistol calibers and optics only uppers. Below that were manufacturers whose parts might or might not fit together, and I knew about them from people's complaints. Vulcan and Hesse are a couple of those.

$1,000 was a tidy sum back then.

Last edited:

dvdcrr

Yes, that is my recollection as well. Seemed like times were tougher then and 1000 was really a lot of money! I remember an ad for a brand new Ford pickup for something like 7999.00

COSteve

I remember that RRA started in 1993 or so, so the Larson brothers were still working at Springfield Arms in the 80's I guess.

dvdcrr

So in the AR world in 1980 you were probably looking at a Bushmaster oe Armalite @ $900- $1000 which would be like about 2500 in todays dollars.

ed308

Bushmaster, Colt and Armalite are the ones I can recall. I had a PWA lower receiver back in those days. Sold it last year for $800.

burrhead

They were called the ABCs: Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt. Colt was looked down upon because of the non-standard takedown pins and the internal "fence" that prevented, IIRC, the use of an M16 BCG.

Both Armalite and Bushmaster made fine products in those days as did Colt but folks didn't like Colt's politics, so to speak. Way down the list was Olympia and especially Spirit. Spirit had a particularly odious owner named Bob Reisner and no CS.

Ahh, those were the days.

Last edited:
Bushmaster actually made several weird not-quite-AR15 rifles in the 1980s that looked like space guns. My favorite was the Assault Rifle (actual model name), which was like an AR-180 and a Daewoo had a the ugliest baby ever. Finding parts for those is fun.

jmr40

Rock River was fresh on the national scene about 2002.

My 1st AR was a Rock River, still have it. I'm pretty sure I had it prior to 2002. Mid 1990's seems right, but I could be wrong.

stagpanther

I had a roommate in the early eighties who had a Colt AR--fine weapon as I recall. His cost around $800--I opted for an norinco SKS that set me back a whopping $99. I was pretty happy when I could shoot a one-shot group that was minute of barn broadside.:D

rickyrick

I remember a friends uncle had one in the early 80s that he bought with some of a settlement he got and I remember specifically that it was a little over 700$. I thought he was a whack job for owning it, haha.

stagpanther

In addition to those models of AR's--and besides the SKS and AK's--the biggest competitor back then as I recall where HK's which were quite common and well-stocked in GS's. Another friend had an HK 93, which I thought was the best of them all.

rickyrick

I bought a stainless Mini14 at 18, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Pawned it a couple of years later as a young adult struggling with family finances. Always regretted it. I own one now, one of the first with the tapered barrels and it’s my favorite over my ARs. Didn’t really have an interest in ARs until 2013, finally accepted the practicality of them.

AK103K

I bought my Colt SP1 for $225 in 1974. Still have it. Shot the crap out of it over the years too, and it still shoots great. Never had a problem with it.

Paid $5800 for a "loaded" 1976 F150 4x4 a couple of years later. Wouldnt mind having that back either. Traded it on an F250 two years later, and it was complete junk. Like night and day.

dvdcrr

You might be right, I'm just saying it was around then that they blew up nationally at least as far as I recall

44 AMP

Staff
I had a "clone" of the Xm-177 in the mid 80s. Collapsible stock, 11.5" barrel, 5" flash hider "welded" on (Silver solder). Lower receiver said "Senda" (or maybe "Sendra") $450 Sold it shortly after the assault weapon mania began, for $900. I was happy. :D