history in my hands

darogue1

I came back form a local gun show just a few hours ago. I am expecting and IAI M1 carbine in a few days and thought that this show would be a good time to stock up on the extras that you always need. Spare mags,ammo, poches, ect. So I bought 4 15 round M1 carbine mags STILL in WWII wrap for about $10 a piece along with some 30rd ones. The wrap was a red wax type paper and pretty well adheared to the magazine so I thought that Hoppes #9 or break free will take care of this. So I sat down with all this and it felt like Christmas unwrapping the mags. I made some quick calculations and figured that these were 50-60 years old and still brand new. I know that this sounds like a contradiction but it is true. Well the wax type substance came off the magazines with a little elbow grease and not too much break free. They shone like diamonds catching the rays through the basement window. I thought of someones family member making these 60yrs ago. My grandmother tells me stories about when she made ammunition during WWII. Well, I was so impressed that I put the other two in a 1954 M1 carbine pouch that I bought and will keep them in the original wrap and pouch unless I really need them. I remember how great this nation was and how we need the national pride today. I am still in awe as I think about it. God Bless America!! PEACE--Darogue1. I welcome all opinions on this topic. Maybe you all have had a similar feelings? Would love to hear about them.

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
Darogue1

Good post and welcome to TFL!

I’m with ya on the historical connection that comes from certain items. When I was in the Marine Corps I had the privilege to be in a unit with a certain SgtMaj Green. He had a set of M-1 Garands that were MC issue during the WWII pacific campaigns. He claimed that the rifles saw battle and killed the enemy. He made us believe it. Those weapons were used in our color guard and it was always a privilege to handle them.