Historical tactics/CCW in 1893?

Sir William

OK. Bear with me. My book club just finished reading Erik Larsons' Devil in the White City. It was a great read. Now, put yourself in Chicago, IL, 1893. You are going to the Columbian Exposition. Wondrous and exotic sights. My question is, what weapon would you CCW? The firearms choices basically seem limited to single or double action revolvers. There were a few euroautos though. A edged weapon? My own choice would most likely be a trio of S&W breaktops in 38 S&W. A bigger bore might be a S&W #3 cut down to a Wells Fargo form snub. A Sheriffs model 45 Long Colt Colt Single Action Army model would work well also. Think about it. A H&R breaktop in 38 S&W with a underbarrel knife and knuckle duster grip? IIRC, the Columbian Guard (security) were armed with sabers.

Sir William

Nobody has a grandfather who did CCW? We often talk about how much more polite our society was when it was armed. Back in the day. What would you CCW in 1893 in a crowded midway atmosphere?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Well thar pardner, the shootin' irons back then were big & weighed more than a horseless carriage, so to be a well dressed gent, I'd go for a Bacon Arms Pepperbox. It'd be worth a couple of twenty dollar gold pieces today too ;) .

Sir William

Capt. Charlie, you have caught the fever! LOL I know that we have so many tactic/tactical tack-ons and better training today. I am stupefied that we have forgotten that our greatuncles, grandfathers and aunts carried certain things everyday. Weapons, snuff, cigars, pipes (not crack) and wore heavy clothes that aided in concealment. I truly believe that we have not progressed though. A firearm in concealment IS a need, a right and our future generations should study the past. Why? To discover what they should not, must not give up. Individual creativity, patriotism and a right of self defense.

Bob F.

Knew a gal whose grandma ran a boarding house/inn/cafe in the mountains back in the day, always wore an apron, always had a derringer in the apron pocket.

SamD

I couldn't say diddly about tactics but My Great Grand Pappy carried a Merwin and Hulbert Pocket Model Army in 44-40 cal. BBl was bobbed to 3" and a new front sight made from a silver dime soldered to the bbl.. He carried it till he died. Actually a pretty decent shooter. I wouldn't feel badly equipped if I had to carry it.

Sam

RioShooter

How about this?

You could take this to book club meetings!

i213660sq02.jpg

Dwight55

My grandfather had an Owl's Head, .38, . . . though I never did see him carry it, . . . there is enough wear on the old piece to make you think that someone carried it. Best I know, . . . granny kept it put up after he died.

He passed on in 1938, . . . in Ky, . . . and was the moderator of a little Baptist church where one of the parishoners was gunned down during a rainy Saturday night church business meeting. Dude came in the back door, . . . walked up to the victim, . . . shot him dead, . . . walked out.

Life in Carter Co., Ky. was different 70 years ago.

May God bless,
Dwight

BlueTrain

Both my grandfathers died before I was born but my father claimed to have carried a .25 Auto when he drove a truck in the late 1930's. My wife's grandfather, however, definitely had a Colt .25 automatic because it was passed on to me (since I'm the one in the family that likes guns). According to the little blue book it was manufactured around 1916. I suspect it was purchased just before the owner went into the army.

Going back a little further, there were scads of small pocket revolvers around that are almost forgotten today and I would imagine they would have been carried a lot more than the more classic revolvers we associate with that period. The Remington double derringer was still popular then and remained so for decades after the turn of the century.

There were also novelty handguns, if you can call them that, that sold very well at the time, such as the Chicago Palm Protector. There were virtually no laws about carrying firearms and also no laws about product quality, so the market was wide open. Some new fangled firearms appeared and developed a following right away, such as Lugers (in .30 Luger), but it would be a mistake to think that such things were at all common. I would also imagine that most folks had to go unarmed just because they were too poor to afford a firearm. There were a lot more people in difficult circumstances because nobody had the radical idea that everyone had to eat and have a roof over their head.

At least one writer has suggested that, in our grandparent's day, people moved from the country to the city because it was safer and now people do the opposite!

Do you realize that the US Government sold off some of their .45 Single Action Army's as surplus sometime around WWI? I also wondered how long single shot percussion pistols, including Deringers, and percussion revolvers remained in active use after cartridge arms became available? And rifles, too, for that matter.