Hirtenberger and Portugese

SHIVAN

Just got an AR10, already have a PSS in .308.

Can't find places that stock Hirtenberger ammo, all these people swearing by it for use in AR10's. Anybody, Anybody......

Also, when I was sighting in my PSS I was able to use some Portugese Surplus, is it all pretty much the same? Is ammoman.com's price competitive? I can't seem to find it otherwise. It grouped OK, but obviously not as good as where the FGM and Black Hills did.

Anybody, anybody.

Thanks,

Ed

boing

Port is well-regarded, generally, but some lots are prone to misfire. I don't know to what extent, or which lots, though. Search the ammo forum at FALFiles.

Snowdog

I also like Hirtenberger .308 ammuntion (purchased 800 rounds of 150gr SP a few years back), but I swear that there's a heavy ammonia smell from the burnt powder that makes my eyes water when fired on a still day or indoor ranges. Very odd.

JIH

Last Hirtenberger I got was at a gun show. Don't know where to get it online.

And, Ammoman is always competitive, especially when you factor in the lack of a shipping charge. The Portugese is pretty good, and the South African is not too bad either, though my AR-10 prefers Hirt and RG.

moredes

Hirtenberger

About 5 weeks ago, SOG Intl. had Hirtenberger, but it was Berdan-primed. It wasn't listed on their website, I called and asked for 'Hirtenberger only'. I actually sent it back, because the clerk had made a mistake and claimed that it was Boxer-primed.

Jamie Young

Portugese and South African have flooded the market. I just got back from a gun show and didn't see one pack of Hirtenburger there.

I'd rather shoot reloadable brass but when I see $139/1000rds of Portugese ammo I don't worry about it. I can get just under 2 MOA with Portugese, with my FAL that is.:)

Nukem

I shoot a lot of the Portugese in my HK, it's fine. $125 per K OTD at KCR yesterday.

It should do OK in your AR 10, but why not load for the PSS?

SHIVAN

Nukem:

I likely will start loading the .308 for use in the PSS. But that said I can get sub MOA out to 150. And now that I have tweaked the trigger I think my 300yd data shuld print sub MOA as well. I was able to ring a 5" x 5" gong at 300yds in my break in session several consectutive times with a trigger registering and average of about 7lbs. High was about 8lbs.

Thanks,

Ed

rocko

Just an FYI, I believe the port uses a bi-metal jacketed bullet, if that is a concern to anyone.

Rocko

AR-10

As does the Hirtenberger FMJ. Hirtenberger SP probably does not, but I have never been lucky enough to find some.

It should not be a concern. From what I have read, it will not increase barrel wear.

uglygun

Mild steel jacket with a washed gilding metal over the top, is possibly one explanation of a bi-metal jacket.

Lots of Russian 7.62x39mm has been out there like that, put a magnent to it and it will stick but it looks like copper or brass.

Dave R

FWIW, I have shot a coupla hundred rounds of both Hirt and Port in the past year, and in my rifle, they shoot equally well. The only advantage I can see in the Hirt over the port is that the Hirt is boxer-primed. The Port is equally accurate, and may be a bit cleaner.