Hip holster

EricReynolds

I just bought a simple nylon thumb break Uncle Mike's hip holster. Question: What is the preferred side to secure the snap? I usually see it on the inside, closest to the body, but I've tried both and I can draw much quicker and easier from the opposite side. What does anyone prefer and why?

armsmaster270

mine has a release lever where the trigger finger naturaly rests when drawing.

DSCF1056.jpg

OPC

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Thumb-snap should be on the side closest to the body for use with the drawing hand thumb. Thus the name (clever, isn't it? :D). This has a couple of benefits (to my way of thinking): 1) it restricts unauthorized (Bad Guy) access to it, also minimizing the chance of clothing getting caught up in it and 2) it allows the drawing thumb to naturally drop down into a proper grip more readily (for me, anyway). :)

EricReynolds

That's exactly what I was thinking, however the fact remains that I can draw quicker and easier from the opposite side. So now I'm weighing it out as far as what is more important, easy draw or more secure retention? Do you see what I'm saying? Ultimately I'll probably switch it up and just keep practicing. Thanks!

45Gunner

The snap is secured to the "thumb break." It should be a smooth operation that when you draw your weapon, the thumb is on the inside of the weapon and should apply pressure to the break which releases the strap so the weapon can be drawn.