Hillbilly deer blind

Jack O'Conner

My hunting buddies in rural western Pennsylvania came up with a low cost deer blind. They bought a junk car for cheap and had it towed to the edge of a clearing within a wooded area. Then they stuffed old clothes with newspapers to form two human shaped dummies which are placed in the front seat. Deer soon get used to the sight and pay it no mind. Opening day, they toss the dummies in the back seat and begin their hunt. Many deer have been taken from this junk car. The local Warden found out about this blind and charged them with hunting from a motor vehicle. But the Magistrate tossed out the case because the junk car has no motor. Justice!

Jack

Last edited:

RAEIndustries

theres only one thing worse than a bad cop its the Bambi Police, Im down in Florida right now and FWC guys make bad cops look like Boy Scouts

Thank God theres till a few good judges left

ROFL! Brilliant. We were taught to make a blind and to get critters used to it. When you occupy it, the critters won't notice.

I do know a fellow who deer hunts from a burned out car body not having any glass deliberately pulled out and left on the edge of a 80 acre hay field. He too has taken deer while seated & watching from his unusual blind.
I don't think the local Game Warden would bother with or take a chance walking across a open field in full view of another having a legally loaded firearm pointed in their direction so to deliberately confront and perhaps write a ticket. Sounds like a rookie Warden or a temporary deputized LE individual who just mite chance such endeavors. Stupid & foolish > But still a bold as hell LE action.

reynolds357

My hunting buddies in rural western Pennsylvania came up with a low cost deer blind. They bought a junk car for cheap and had it towed to the edge of a clearing within a wooded area. Then they stuffed old clothes with newspapers to form two human shaped dummies which are placed in the front seat. Deer soon get used to the sight and pay it no mind. Opening day, they toss the dummies in the back seat and begin their hunt. Many deer have been taken from this junk car. The local Warden found out about this blind and charged them with hunting from a motor vehicle. But the Magistrate tossed out the case because the junk car has no motor. Justice!
I am a retired Police officer. It is unfortunate that law enforcement officers are becoming such jackasses. Seems most of them are more concerned with annoying the public than protecting the public. They are more concerned with revenue generation than they are with serving.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
My uncle took the body of his mother's 1939 Mercury Club Coupe, set it on 3' pilings, and had reasonable success on Bambi for many years. :)

(My father wanted the frame, power train and running gear for a complete rebuild of his 1941 Ford Army surplus staff car.)

T. O'Heir

"...or take a chance..." There's something seriously wrong there if a CO has to take that into consideration. No real hunter would ever point his firearm at anybody.
"...Where at in Western PA..." Somebody's front yard. snicker.
"...officers are becoming..." Comes from their degree being more important than their ability to think.

bamaranger

tickets

I would say that was a bad ticket......and the judge thought so too. Certainly PA has legal definition of a "motor vehicle", and I would hope that one component of that definition would be that it is capable of self propulsion/movement. The WCO should have known that. Unless the involved parties did not advise the WCO, just to humiliate him in court?

Wildlife cases are hard to make, WCO's (like all jobs) are pressured to be productive from admin and one measure of that is cases. It usually takes maturity and experience to resist administration and excercise good judgement, those qualities take time to develop, and so we hear about instances like this.

PA has a Deputy WCO program, (voluteers, unpaid) and they rely on it heavily. The Deputies do MUCH needed work. I've know several of those fellows, very dedcated, supply much if not all of their own gear, and the screening process is comprehensive. But, as a rule they suffer from being "weekend warriors". The rest of the week/year, they are on their other paying job too, and the deputies cannot get the level of experience/exposure that the full timers get on full salary and working day in/day out as a WCO.
Consequently, it takes longer to "hone" a good deputy. Many of such episodes as this I hear about in PA are the result of contacts with a too eager deputy.

eastbank

just remember in pa. they are sworn officers of the state with full arrest powers, if stopped just give what information is required by law and then shut up. no reason to be rude or argue with them after you explain your side of the events. if you think you are in the right, the time to fight it is in a court of law. eastbank.

Jack O'Conner

My buddies sort of brought this upon themselves. They like to brag about their hunting at the local VFW and other saloons. Bragging annoys some people and that's probably how the warden found out about this unique deer blind. But the warden should've let this one alone. So it goes.

Jack

jackstrawIII

This is an awesome story, but the newspaper-filled dummies are the truly impressive part. Two big thumbs up for true inspiration.

smee78

If you think about it a car body really does make a great deer blind. Sound absorption, comfy seats and waterproof, other than the crank windows that were already mentioned it should make a solid platform. Put it a few feet off the ground to give you a little advantage and you should be good to go.