Highest muzzle velocity of popular handguns

TXAZ

Other than the FN 5.7, what other common / popular handguns have very high muzzle velocities? (And no your Weatherby 7mm UHV cut down doesn’t count:D )

ballardw

.22TCM
7.62x25

You don't pick a definition for "high muzzle velocity".
Wouldn't be surprised to run into a common/popular discussion as well.

sparkyv

From their website: "Smith & Wesson's Model 460XVR, with the highest muzzle velocity of any production revolver on earth....to deliver maximum velocity - over 2,300 feet per second". I've clocked mine to just under 2,100fps with my handloads, so far.

Jimbo-Indy

Had a CZ52 (7.62 x25) that got up to around 1750 with handloads of a 90 gn XTP over lots of H110. Just for fun, loaded up 5 rounds only of a 110 gn JHP over 4227 in a Ruger 357 Maximum, 7 1/2". Ran a tick over 2000 fps. None of these are recommended. "Don't try this at home"
Looks like the S&W 460 is the champ and does it safely with published/tested loads rather than very light bullets in large capacity cases.

Forte S+W

Popular? That would be Magnum Revolver cartridges.

There are a lot of high velocity pistol cartridges like .22TCM, 7.62x25 Tokarev, 5.7x28 FN, and .357 SIG to name a few, but they're mostly niche cartridge with a cult following.

COSteve

Glock 40, 6" 10mm with my 165grn handloads.

I invented the Glock 10mm longslide in 2004 using a German G21 .45acp 6" slide. The 6" 45 acp barrel came from Jarvis and it balanced out really well, however, later in 2004 I decided that I wanted to see if I could convert it to also shoot 10mm.

I talked Kevin of KKM Precision into making me a 45 10mm conversion barrel for it. With a .45 LCI extractor, 10mm mags and Kevin's conversion barrel, I had the parts to assemble the world's first G20/21L. It's shown below the G21 version in the picture below.

EY6R7KI.jpg

With the 10mm barrel, my hottest 165grn handloads chrono at a blistering 1,589fps with 925ft/lbs of ME!!

Glock finally developed the G40 a few years ago but I can tell you from over 9,000rds of hot 10mm, the 6" 10mm is a powerful pistol. I went on to tweak it for USPSA limited shooting and then as just a fun shooter.

Currently, it looks like this with a hard chromed slide and mag well.

z56jbtF.jpg

P Flados

The TC Contender / G2 platform has way outsold the S&W 460 / 500 guns.

Just to be reasonably fair, lets consider only 10" guns & cartridges first used in handguns.

My 30 Herrett, 7 TCU and 357 max barrels are all capable of fast shooting with hunting loads. I hit 2100 in the Max with a cast 160 gr bullet. The 30 Herrett has load data going to 2400 fps with a 110 gr. The 7 TCU has load data going to 2280 with a 130 gr.

I am not saying the Contender should be part of this discussion, but the S&W 460 is not exactly common / popular.

The 454 Casull is closer to meeting the common / popular criteria. Guns are available from a number of makers and you can buy loaded ammo. I believe you can get 260 gr ammo rated at 1800 fps.

DaleA

VERY nice looking pistol COSteve.

I recently got a Glock 20 and then got exchange guns with someone's Remington 1911 style long slide. I liked the long slide, he liked the capacity and just like the "Wow, I coulda had a V8!" commercial we both thought we coulda had a Glock 40 (and been ready for some kind of optical sight to boot!)

It's a classic case of the grass being greener and buyers remorse and I'm not trading my Glock 20 just thinking...well Christmas is coming...

Road_Clam

S&W 460XVR , my 12" bbl version shoots the factory Hornady 200 gr FTX ammo at an insane MV of 2326 fps through measured from my Alpha Chrony.

Last edited:

gemihur

I generally load my bullets to perform at around 2200 fps but I shoot a contender,
the handgun that thinks it's a rifle. Most of my barrels are wildcats, anyway.
14" SSK Bbl in 6x223
6x45-with-shrouded-forearm.png