Higher than high scope rings

HisSoldier

I bought a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO Riflescope Dead-Hold BDC Reticle CF2-31023 - scope for my AR-15 but since the rifle has a 14" long picatinny tube the large objective hits the top of the rail.

I also got the Vortex Optics 1 Inch Riflescope High Rings, Picatinny/Weaver Mount thinking "high" rings by the same company would be high enough but as I said the large end impinges against the rail anyway. Do any of you know if Vortex makes a higher set of rings than their high set?

Short of that, is there an extension that will tighten onto the rail that has a second rail 1/4" above it? That's all I'd need to clear the rail.

Thanks in advance.

HiBC

With a 50mm tube...There MAY be a question with a typical purpose built AR type integral ring-mount,but I'm pretty sure it will go.
These are not just rings,both rings are connected by a base and the clamp on a rail.More rigid and beats alignment problems

For a good one at a good price,I look to Rock River Arms.They might give you a height or advice if you call them.
At first the ring clamps looked a little bulky/blocky. Not sleek. But actually I think the "blockyness" serves to help keep the ocular and objective bells from harm when the rifle is laying on a surface. If the rifle must rest on anything to do with the scope,better the $55 rigid,strong ring mount that the more delicate,expensive optic bells.
I notice Aero is making them,too. They make pretty good stuff.Sleek,trim...not quite to my taste.Design is "Unique"...I'm cynical.
The Burris PEPR has a following. I don't care to bash them..I'm not fond of the crossscrew config and the powder paint or whatever it is on the actual picatinny clamp area does not make for a precision surface. I had a couple and replaced them with RRA and Armalite. At $55,the RRA is the deal.

For an adapter or riser as you ask,A.R.M.S makes a Swan Sleeve that is just what you are asking for. They don't give them away.They are a nice product. They come in a variety of lengths and applications. Some have integral iron sights.

http://armsmounts.com/shop/mounts/a-r-m-s-36-ex-osr-swan-sleeve/

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385

Last edited:

Don Fischer

I don't understand the Pickawhatsit called rail. But look's like a good idea! Sounds like the rail is simply to long. Couldn't you simply cut off some of the front of the rail to miss the bell on the scope? Probably a stupid question, modern thing's for shooting sometimes have me really baffled!:(

HiBC

Actually,Don,I put a picatinny rail receiver cover on an FN FAL. I used low rings . The objective bell would not clear...but the stock comb fit my face so the ring height w right. My eyes "found"the scope just right. I did not want taller rings.

No problem Used a boring head in a Bridgeport mill to cut some scope bell clearance in the rail.

The FALhas some drop in the stock. An AR is straight,so higher rings are needed..

HisSoldier

I got these risers for $18, goes up 1/2" but that's OK, plus cheap enough to keep complaints down from wifey who doesn't understand owning more than one gun.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162635829595

That scope seems like a nice scope for $200 and I may buy another one for a different rifle too many, maybe the Mini-14.

Couldn't you simply cut off some of the front of the rail to miss the bell on the scope?

i considered that, but in general I don't like altering a firearm for accessories, this time the decision was close though as I don't know what to do with all the rail area.

One nice thing about the picatinny rail is that I can quickly swap out iron sights any time the mood hits, but it may be hard to fit both the scope and back up sights.
Thanks guys for the ideas, I got the rifle just for shooting steel plates so it's not a huge deal if the scope sits 1/4" too high I guess.

A different rifle too many is a FAL which I like a lot, I put a military M4 type scope on that.

Too many is way better than not enough. And I can always mention guys we know who own more too many guns than I do. :D