High Standard Model B

FRANK1669

Ok My buddy brought over this pistol becuase it was "broken" he said it happened while shooting it. ( somehow the recoil spring guide got flipped over 180 degrees). I visually inspected every thing and It all looks OK the pistol functions fine I test shoot it with subsonic ammo and it shoots great. Then after talking with him i found out he was shooting high velocity ammo through it:mad: I have always been told that was a NO NO with old autos he told me he had shot a lot of this through his pistol. My questions are What areas shuld i inspect more closly for damage Breech and bolt face looked normal and my second question Brownells sells a higher rated recoil spring 6.6 LBS instead of factory 5 lbs (their Numbers) will this allow the pistol to shoot the more modern ammo safely? Thanks in advance

The pressures for both rounds are modest by modern standards. The gun's barrel should handle both, but you may find metal peening on any surface that is contacted during cycling, so you want to check them all for burrs. The higher recoil spring weight spring will help neutralize the problem. That spring will likely work fine with standard velocity ammo, but may cause failures to feed with pistol match ammo, like CCI Green Tag, for example.

Most people buy the high velocity .22's because they are cheapest and most widely available, but they are not usually the most accurate. The question then becomes, why is he buying it for a gun that has a reputation for accuracy? He may not like the price of CCI Green Tag or other brands of "Pistol Match", but CCI's standard velocity works quite well and when my dad was still coaching OSU's pistol team, they liked it for practice.

Nick

James K

Member In Memoriam
The main area that gets battered on those guns is the stop lug which actually stops the slide when it moves back. If that is OK and nothing else seems battered or cracked, the gun should be OK. I know it is hard to get standard velocity .22 LR these days, but that is what the gun was made for and use of hotter loads is not recommended.

Jim