High Standard Match King

ScotchMan

Hey all, recently acquired one of my grandfather's pistols, a High Standard Match King. He is no longer living at home and my grandmother has no interest in having guns in the house. We are not certain what we are doing with it yet, but I would like to figure out a value as a starting point.

I am having very little luck finding anything online. The Sport King seems to have a lot of presence on Gunbroker, but I can't find much for the Match King. It doesn't help that Sierra makes a common bullet with the same name.

Any info on these guns? It looks to have about a 4" barrel, it's .22LR, and its in excellent shape. Just trying to get a very rough idea what it might be worth. Thanks for any info you have!

ScotchMan

I did not think to take a picture of it, that was probably silly. It is still at my grandparent's house while I get the permit situation squared away. Looking at Google images, it looks very similar to a Victor or Supermatic, but it definitely has Matchking printed on the slide.

ScotchMan

I found this: http://s596.photobucket.com/user/Cryogaijin/media/Ddlsguns.jpg.html

Ddlsguns.jpg

Looks like its the one all the way on the left. The one I have is blued.

psyfly

ScotchMan:

The one in the picture is one of the "new" High Standard Company's pistols. The High Standard Company of Houston, Texas bought out the old High Standard, including the name, back in the early 90s, I believe.

Some of the older, Connecticut-made guns (early 1920s to early 80s, maybe???), were considered to have been world-class competitive pistols.

The newer ones, rightly or wrongly, haven't built that reputation as yet. The current High Standard company makes a lot of different kinds of firearms (ARs, 1911s, and maybe etc.).

More info here on the Houston Company: http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/home-hs

If yours is blued, it is likely a Connecticut-made gun. If so, it will be marked with either "Hamden, Conn." or "New Haven, Conn.".

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/mGun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=HIGH_STANDARD

Best,

Will

Last edited:

redhawk45

Never heard of a Match King. Just reviewed Rimfire Central High Standard model listing and it does not show there as a model.

Last edited:

Hal

The one in the picture is one of the "new" High Standard Company's pistols. The High Standard Company of Houston, Texas bought out the old High Standard, including the name, back in the early 90s, I believe.
That one in the picture is a dead ringer for both of my Sport Kings, except for the barrel length. Mine have a shorter barrel.
They were both made in CT prior to 1980.

ScotchMan

Thanks for the replies. This was marked New Haven, CT if I remember correctly. Maybe I am going crazy, and it says Sport King. I do remember the -M after, which I see is a version of the Sport King.

Does anyone with access to the Blue Book of Gun Values want to tell me what a Sport King-M is worth?

eddyb74

I have one, but pictures would still help nail down exactly what series it is. None of the Sport King's go for big money. Not one was above $400 in 100%.

The 107 series is one of two labeled with the M. It came in either a 4 1/2" or a 6 3/4" barrel and came with military grips. this gun was mfg. in East Hartford only. $325 at 100%.

The other one is the SH series. These were the last of the guns made by the original company. This series has the allen screw take down. Same options in barrels and came in electroless nickel as well. $275 for a blued gun at 100%.

Last edited: