High Standard .22lr Feed Problem?

Twoface1911

I have a High Standard .22Lr and sometimes after cycling 1 round the shell becomes jammed above the chamber i don't know what is causing this but it happens so often that it makes the gun unshootable, its a shame because it is very accurate and fun to shoot, im thinking about getting a whole new slide. Any help? :(

bluetopper

I imagine the feed lips on the magazine just need to be bent/tweaked just a little with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I trust you have a factory mag and not an aftermarket one.

darkgael

tweaking the feed lips

Almost certainly a magazine problem.
Heres a read about what to do:
3. Magazine feeding is very sensitive to the particular ammunition that is being used. Due to the wide variance in ammunition specifications, the width of the magazines feed lips must be adjusted for the particular target ammunition to be used to obtain maximum reliability. The basic dimensions should be .230 wide for the rear of the front lips and .185 wide for the front of the rear lips. The front and rear lips should also be kept parallel.

4. Magazines should always be kept clean and well oiled.

NOTE: 1. The .230 dimension is fairly constant for all ammunition. The .185 dimension should be increased if the bullets are feeding too low, and it should be decreased if the bullets are feeding too high. This adjustment can be accomplished with tools like needle nose pliers. You can also make your own tool with a piece of 1/4 in.1/2 in. flat stock by sawing a slot in the end. 2. Due to the overall length of some 22LR match ammunition, it will be impossible to get it to feed ten (10) rounds properly.

fortkevin2

IMO

Ryndisher- IMO it's probably the magazine like Dfairswheel said or an ammo issue. My dad has a High Standard HD military from my great grand father and it would jam every few rounds using federal 550 bulk packs and anything else. They seem to be VERY ammo sensitive... even mini mags. :barf:

Try federal champion. I can shoot several magazines through it and only get an occasional jam. Good luck and let us know if you get it worked out!

ilbob

Hi Standard 22 pistols are well known for being finicky about their magazines. Many just will not relaibly cycle with after market magazines unless they are tweaked. Somewhere there is a procedure for fixing aftermarket mags on the net that google can probably find for you.

Tucker 2

Your problems is most-likely related to the magazine feed lips. But there are other possibilities. Like the chamber mouth out of round.

High Standards were designed before Hyper-vel. ammo. They puke on ya if you use it too often. No firing pin stop on these little jewels so don't dry fire a H.S. pistol, use an expended cartridge brass as a snap cap. The magazines being sold by High Standard of TX. (the last I knew) are POS, the feed lips are soft and will not hold a set or may break off. These magazines are identified by a green follower and an overall appearance of having been made by a blacksmith.

Don't be discouraged by failures in mechanical things. Even the best, and FWIW I think High Standards (the old ones) are the best, have "issues" now and again. Patience grasshopper. JM .02

Last edited: