High shipping cost of a handgun

spacecoast

Went to UPS today to send my 22-4 revolver back to S&W to hopefully have the sights checked and aligned so the gun shoots somewhere near POA. UPS tried to charge me $80+ to ship next day air until I happened to see an old email hanging on the wall that had "Smith and Wesson 2nd day air" scrawled across the top in marker. Even so, it was over $44 to send, and S&W didn't offer to pay it like Ruger did (twice) for me. That price seems exorbitant. Since the post office won't ship firearms for civilians (although they handle shipments to FFLs it seems), has anyone found a cheaper way to ship?

Sefner

Has anyone tried DHL?

I tried shipping mine through Fedex like Springfield wanted me to. Ended up having to go to three different places because the idiots in Ann Arbor kept telling me it was a dangerous item (the ammo is an explosive, sure, but the gun is just a hunk of metal). Springfield paid for my shipping though.

Don H

Sefner said:
Has anyone tried DHL?

I asked DHL that question a couple of years ago. Their response:

No, DHL does not carry firearms.

If I can be of further assistance please advise. Thank you for using DHL Express.

Peggy
Customer Service
DHL World Wide Express

docpadds

This is usually the only way to send things. If your employer has an account with a good discount then often thats a good way, as long as they would be ok with the firearm.

We actually ship a lot of stuff outbound for customers who have sold it in auctions etc because we can use USPS, so outbound transfers are a standard service for us.

Wildalaska

Since the post office won't ship firearms for civilians (although they handle shipments to FFLs it seems), has anyone found a cheaper way to ship?

Your dealer wont do it for you?

WildwedotiallthetimeAlaska ™©2002-2010

spacecoast

I have talked with my FFL about selling guns and he said it would be $50 for him to handle them, plus shipping. So that's not really going to save any money.

Just curious as to why the USPS would ship guns to/from FFLs and not for private individuals. I was all ready to show the UPS guy that my gun was not loaded today, but he didn't check and didn't ask to.

Wildalaska

I have talked with my FFL about selling guns and he said it would be $50 for him to handle them, plus shipping. So that's not really going to save any money.

You need an new FFL then

WildreallyAlaska ™©2002-2010

zenner22

I asked on of my local shops and he said he'd be charging me a transfer fee of $35 plus postage. Said that they handle it as a transfer because they have to enter it in on their books.

Needless to say I sent the pistol off myself from UPS.