High power match with AR15

darogue1

I HOPE to shoot in a high power match in about two weeks. Would like to know what to expect and what type of gear I will neeed to go with me. I want to say that this will be me first match. I will be shooting it so I can qualify for my M1 from ODCMP. Not looking to be first by a long shot :D Will be shooting my AR15 with q3131A ammunition. I also know that I need my spotting scope. Do I get another person or do I do everything myself? How many magazines to take, which capacity? I don't have a fancy shooting jacket or anything like that. How about a ground pad or something like that? Since my AR is post ban with a "compensator" permanately afixed is that going to cause problems? The advertisement says " ALL NRA RULES CURRENTLY IN FORCE WILL APPLY." I am going to call the match director later today/tonight. Just looking for a heads up on this. All help is welcomed. Thanks in advance. DAROGUE1

El Rojo

I think it sort of depends on what club you are shooting at as to how far they take that "NRA rules" go. I started shooting highpower at the Ojai Valley Gun Club and they were extremely friendly and extremely relaxed on the rules. They weren't official matches. However, the person they paired me up with to teach me how to shoot highpower was one USMC Sargent Dennis (crap I just forgot his name). Anyway, the guy won this years California state highpower championship!

Here is the basics. Bring two magazines. Most everyone shoots 20 rounders so just bring 20 rounders if you have them. If not, bring at least 10 rounders and 30 rounders would be fine. Bring them unloaded and they will explain to you when to load them. I made the mistake of putting 20 roudns in a mag for a stage and this is completely unneccesary. So just leave them unloaded and ask someone what order to load. A spotting scope would be a very good thing, it doesn't have to be fancy, just 20 power or more. A shooting mat is good, but others might let you borrow theirs. A shooting coat is pretty essential for highpower, but they are expensive and you won't really need one until you decide to make the investment. Don't worry about the coat yet, but be aware just about everyone else will have one. Ammo? For the .223 just about anything will work fine at the 200 and 300 yard stages, but for 600 many shooters load their own heavier bullets from 69-80 grain match bullets. So the wind might buck you are around some out at 600 yards, but it should be fun just the same. Finally, if you can find a national match highpower scorebook, it would be a great item to record your shots in. There is a great chance someone will rip you out a page of theirs when you get there.

I started shooting national match with my M1A and it was a blast. I wish I could buy an AR now, but I live in the PRK. Bastards! Here is an excellent link where I also started.

http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/nmc.html

Have fun!

darogue1

Thanks alot for the tips........

Like I said earlier just trying to get a garand from the government. Would a ground pad or exercise mat work for prone? Don't mind getting dirty though. Again thanks for the tips. I heard the 20rd magazines are the ones to take. More tips anyone. DAROGUE1

Commander Fan

You can find alot of information at the HIGHPOWER board at talk.shooters.com. After you enter the HIGHPOWER board, click on the "T" icon to see past topics, or use the "Binocular" icon to search. Several years of Highpower posts are stored there.

You can also ask some of the prior National Highpower champs at the COMPETITION board at the www.ar15.com forum boards(Not the Industry Forums). There are 20,000 registered members, so the system can be VERY slow at times.

I'm just making my daily 'web travel' right now, and will probably post some more information this evening.

The above links should be alot of help. Almost every bit of information is covered at the Shooters(.com) site and is very fast to load.

Good Luck

ACP230

When I started shooting HP I used an old sleeping bag as a mat. Later I got a piece of underlayment that I still use. I would bring more than two magazines if you have them. I've never had one quit during a HP match, but I have had pistol mags quit during bowling pin shoots, and you never know. Some clubs have spotting scopes they can lend you. You may not have a coach, although the guy running the match will keep an eye on you. Experienced shooters will help you with questions you may have. I know they did when I started. Have fun.

darogue1

my continued thanks to all.

I called the match director and he said an old carpet would do as a mat for now. don't really need a jacket but bring some type of jacket if it is cold. Shooting in two weeks from sunday. They will assign me to a more experienced shooter the day of the shoot. I just need to tell them. I will I'm a new be to all this. He is also going to send be a brochure on the topic. Now for the hard part getting to the range and burning some pre match powder! :cool: Gun show is this sat morning will get the supplies there. Going to shoot Q3131A for 200yrds or should I go with green tipped 69gr ammo. I guess all the shooting will be @ 200yrds on reduced targets. We sure don't have a 600yrd range! I have the are "battle sighted" for 250 yrds that should do right? Did it marine style. Thanks again DAROGUE1

L

Lmccrock

You answered the first question I had - what range? Having all rounds fired at the same distance (200 yds) means you do not have to adjust sights during the match. Some shooters know their point-of-impact changes when they change positions, and adjust their sights, but this has not happened with me. A 250-yd zero will require some adjustment to be on at 200, but it will not be far off.

Which ammo? Depends on what works in your rifle. If you are sighted in with the Q3131A then use that. If your rifle has a faster twist barrel (maybe 1:7" or 1:8") then heavier bullets will be more accurate, although it is more likely that you have a 1:9" which will work well for 55gr or 69gr.

I am not sure what "green tipped 69gr ammo" is. I saw some green-tipped 62gr, but not 69gr. The Federal match ammo is 69gr, but this is pricey.

A warning. You mentioned "compensator". If you really have a comp, it may not be popular, since they blow gases around the other shooters on the line. In fact, I believe the rules forbid them. If your "comp" is cosmetic (a non-functional flash hider), then it may not matter. And, if you do not mention it to anyone, maybe no one will notice.

Have fun with your M1, when you get it. Rescuing an M1 is a worthy goal for the effort.

Steve Smith

(breathing hard) Sorry I'm late! Did someone say HP?

Hey guys...just got in from Thule Air Base...was TDY up there for a week.

Darogue1, good to hear you're going to shoot an HP match. Sounds like you're going to shoot what's called a "clinic match." Basically that's a match for new shooters to try the sport. You won't need all the equipment to shoot your first match. There are a few things you will need, and I'll try to hit on those things, and also tell you what to do and not to do.

First things first, though, that "compensator" is a no-no. Technically, its not allowed at all. Even at a clinic match, where guys won't have Service Rifle legal guns to bring, the compensator is a bad thing. You may get by with it, but the guys next to you will not be happy.

What you'll need:

A rifle. Ask the Match Director if he has some loaner rifles, so you can avoid the muzzle brake issue all together. If not, press on with what you have. Bring four or five mags, at least. Back-ups are important. In addition, you can load two mags with two rounds, and two with eight the night before. That way you don't have to load them for the rapids while getting ready.

Sounds like you'll be shooting at 100 or 200 yards, woth reduced targets, like you said. I doubt you'll have pits. In that case, a good spotting scope is a necessity in order to finely adjust your sights, but untill you're hooked, don't drop the cash. A good HP level scope will run you $500-$1200 not including the stand. No need to buy it if you don't get bitten by the bug. Instead, bring a pair of good binocs that I hope you already own. (If not, again, don't drop the cash) More than likely, an experienced shooter or three will offer their scopes. HANDLE ALL BORROWED EQUIPMENT AS IF IT WERE FINE CHINA!

A sling. Specifically, its supposed to be a USGI issue style, either the 1907 leather style, or the M1 Garand cotton or nylon web sling. Even HP shooter's argue on which is best, so for now, try to find a COTTON M1 Garand web sling...price should be between $5 and $10. Any old timer at the range worth his salt should be able to show you how to use it, or check out www.jarheadtop.com

The three items above are the most important items that an HP shooter should have...all else are nice-to-haves.

The piece of carpet is a common new-guy accessory, often seen with a chiffon crying towel.

The coat mainly provides padding. Many outsiders think that the coat keeps you from moving, but that's simply not true. While it does limit your movements some, and keeps your shoulders tight during the offhand, its true purpose is padding, like I said. You'll need something to protect your "off" arm when using a slinged position; otherwise, the pain will take your concentration away from your shooting. I'd suggest wearing a sweatshirt or two, and then a coat over that. Even in the summer, HP shooters wear a sweatshirt and the shooting coat...it takes up space and also helps keep your body at the same temp (hot).

Do not worry too much about your ammo. In your case, you've probably never shot from position before, at least not seriously. If you start out shooting 1 MOA, I'll be surprised. (This is NOT an insult!) Do this: Get out this weekend or next and see which ammo shoots best off the bench. Use that. If you get serious about shooting HP, you won't be using that AR, and it won't be with off the shelf ammo anyway. Go to have fun and don't sweat the ammo.

Don't worry about your sights too much. Find out at what distance you're really going to shoot at, and get a good zero there before the match. If its all at one distance (sounds like it is) then you're golden right there. When the match starts, you may need to adjust your sights to hit where you're aiming...if so, make sure to RETURN the sights to where they were at the start before you move to the next position. If you shoot at 100 and 200, and 3 MOA in between, shoot a sighter, and adjust.

Offhand advice: I recently reached a goal of mine for offhand, and I thought you could use this advice. When you lift the rifle, cradle it in your arms and close your eyes. Feel your natural balance point, and see whether you can stand absolutely still. If not, move your feet 'till you can. Go between this and finding your NPOA untill both are the same. Do not move your feet again untill your shooting is finished. Make sure to put the rifle in the same place in your shoulder every time. Do not adjust with your waist. If you're not pointing at the target, move your feet, check your balance, and press on. Do not use your forward had to adjustment, either. Its just there to hold up the rifle. Use the pistol grip to make very minor adjustments in your aim. Grasp the grip like you mean it and pull it back into your shoulder. Again, "steer" the rifle with the grip. This is directly from the AMU, and it works very well with the AR.

Always know exactly where you hit before you even look through the scope.

If you have some more questions, I'd like to help. Feel free to email me at highpowerar15@earthlink.net

darogue1

Thanks to all once again!!

A) Please help with th term "off hand" I shoot with my right hand on the rifle. In this stage I shoot the rifle with my left and hold the forearm with my right!!??-----if this is true I gotta practice this!!!!!!!

B) You all have me worried now about the"compensator" I don't think that it is a true compensator it resembles an A2 flash hider somewhat except there are about 4 holes in it. They are round not oblong.

C) Now I'm a bit worried overall:eek:

D) I'm going to meet up with the guy Thursday and show him the rifle and get the total story with a question and answer session with him. Hope that all goes well for me gang.

E) Several pre match powder burning sessions are scheduled this week and two next prior to the match.

THANK FOR THE CONTINUED SUPPORT GANG!!!! Like I said before just trying to rescue an M1 and now an 1903 springfield! I want both now. DAROGUE1

ACP230

Offhand = From An Unsupported Standing Position. You will not have to shoot lefty if you are righty, or righty if you are lefty.
I have shot in matches next to shooters with compensators, so they are sometimes allowed on the line. They are loud, but HP shooters are generally tough enough to put up with the racket. They also put up with getting shelled by brass from the guy on the postion to the left, hot, humid weather, cold, windy weather, rain, occasional snow or sleet, and still have fun.

El Rojo

Rest easy! Off hand simply means no rest or sling from a standing position. It DOES NOT mean shooting with your weak hand and eye. Now once you get really good you might want to start shooting with the weak hand, but that is more than I will ever do! Even though I would like to be proficient with both hands.

You are stressing too much! If nothing else, when you get there, someone might let you borrow their AR to shoot the match. I have found that highpower shooters are some of the nicest people around. The main thing is to just show up and go from there. They will be very patient with you and help you out along the way. As long as you have the 4 rules of firearm safety down, you should get along with everyone just fine. :)

Steve Smith

STOP WORRYING!

No point in worrying.

A) Offhand is the term used for the "standing" position. That's all. No need to shoot from your non-dominant side. I promise. :)

B) NRA High Power Rifle Rules Handbook, Rule 3.16.1 Compensators and Muzzle Brakes:
"The use of compensators or muzzle brakes is prohibited."

Pretty cut and dry. Again, if your local Match Director will allow it, and the others on the line do not protest, then you'll be fine for one or two matches. It'll get old with them quckly, though.

C) Why worry? You're just doing this to qualify for your M1 Garand, right? There's absolutely no reason why you should be worried, then. No MD in his right mind would keep a newbie from shooting in a beginner's match for having a comp. He should make every effort to get you on the line...perhaps with a space between you and the other competitors. Once you get a Garand, I hope you decide to continue shooting HP...its a lifetime sport, and you'll never meet better people anywhere else.

Brooks

CMP Match

Don't worry, the match will be informal and relaxed. You will have to expend about 75 rnds. and will not even have to hit anything. They will sign you off and you send in your application.

darogue1

updates.......

As usual thanks for the help esp about the off hand situation. That is a load off my mind:)

Yea, you guys are right as long as I can hit the target and have a few holes in it I'll be okay! I worry about stupid stuff too much.

Thursday afternoon I'm meeting with the Match Director and hope to pay the entry fee so I'm in. Just $20 no big deal. I know that this will go well.

Will write an update in a few days. If not then I'm at the range preparing:cool:

Like I said thanks again. I TRY to score a bullseye for ya!!

DAROGUE1

E. BeauBeaux

Thank you for the post and to all that answered. My first Highpower Match is April 13th. I'm looking forward to it even more now. Again thank's to all.

E. BeauBeaux

I wouldn't know about it. I belong too a local club in Mississippi. This is where I have been introduced to different types of shooting. IDPA, USPSA and now Highpower.

http://www.crssa.com

This is close [5 miles] by my farm where I hope to retire soon.