High Point 9mm carbines

don vito

i know it fires a piistol cartridge but there is no other place i can post

i just want general info on this little weapon
seen couple on the range but didn't have an oportunity to discus with the owner

info on reliability, mags, acsesories, robustnes and ability ro feed dif types of ammo like hollowpoint.
any info is welcome thnks

considering buing one the price is right and i can live with a 10rd mag

RON in PA

Don't own one, never shot one, but know some owners and they swear by them. I have seen many posts on this page and several other gun forums about the High Point carbine and they are always positive.

Now the High Point pistols seem to be another story, generally considered to be pos.

RHarris

I know someone who has one I've had the opportunity to fire it. It functioned just fine. I can't say I was all that impressed with it though. I found the trigger and grip to be unconfortable, but that might just be me. It's ugly and feels cheap, again, not the most objective assesment. If you must have a pistol caliber carbine, look at a Marlin or Ruger too; they're a more money, but much better quality. I believe the Ruger will accept the same magazines as their pistols and the Marlin will accept some S&W magazines, somethning worth considering if you have a Ruger or S&W autoloader.

Nightcrawler

My friend liked the Hi-Point so much he bought two of 'em. They're cheap. Less than 200 bucks. You'll be stuck with 10 round mags, and field stripping them is a pain, but, for your money, they're fun to shoot, and are accurate. A cheap plinker if you just like going out to shoot tin cans once in awhile. Functions fine with most ammo we've tried, even semi-wadcutter reloads.

tarfu

I have owned one for over a year. I have only had 2 feeding problems with it. One was after shooting about 100 rounds of cheap and dirty reloads it wouldn't chamber, I ran a bore snake through it and it was fine. The other was when I was shooting off hand and didn't have a good grip .
I have the light mount for it that screws to the stock under the barrel. It holds a surefire with the pressure pad. It woks great and it secure. It definitly makes nigh shoots much more fun! If you have anf other questions let me know.

Orion_VTOL

The Hi Point 995 Carbine was the first rifle I bought. I'm not one to follow the crowds and it was just weird looking enough to peak my interests. Of course it isn't the quality or functioning of an AK, SKS, or even an AR, but mine has had very few problems in feeding or extractions, and it has been pretty fun to shoot. I just don't shoot it much anymore. Especially after getting my 10/22, which is more fun to shoot (much more accurate, basically no recoil) and less expensive as well (the ammo).

Noah1234

I had the chance to handle one recently, price was only $180, and I asked the guy at the counter if it was any good. He said you basically get what you pay for, but he had never had any complaints about reliability, and some of the local Sheriffs carry them in their cars for some extra firepower. I had just plunked down $700 for a handgun so I felt he was being straight foreward with me, I'm thinking of picking one up just because it's so damn cheap!

Bogie

If I was living by myself on a farm, and I could only have one personal protection weapon, and I had less than $200 to spend, I'd go for one...

They're built like a cap pistol, and look sorta like one, but I haven't found anyone yet who has managed to kill one...

don vito

thanks a lot
i might byu one
really helped me out
i also found an article in a gun mag with positive results myself

jtduncan

You might want to check out Kel Tec's new improved sub-9 carbine. The 2001 sub-9 has a suggested price of $383 so it will probably sell at $300 on the street.

I love my Sub-9 and it is built to last. 9mm 115 grainers going 1400-1450 fps is great.

plateshooter

I have one, probably shot about 1000 rounds through it. Works great, and is accurate. The only problem I have had is from using brake cleaner to flush it out. It melted the plastic trigger. I called Hi Point and had a new assembly in my mail box 2 days later, no charge. For the money, it's a good value IMO.

Engineer

The Hi-Point carbines are definitely good for the price you pay for them. Even though I just bought a Ruger PC9 (gotta love the availability of 30 round mags), I'll be keeping my Hi-Point as I've never had a problem with it and they are pretty darn accurate.

Tropical Z

Hi-Points in general are extremely underrated.I love mine (although its a pistol)and it loves Remington UMC and i love the price of both! :)

Target Shooter

I bought one about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. The first time out I put 100 rounds through it. Accuracy was excellent and it performed flawlessly.
It's not the quality of the Ruger or any other carbine but for the price it does what it was intended for.
I put 10 rounds into the size of a quarter at 25 yards with no problems. (Resting on a bench with sand bags)
If you can get one for under $200.00 buy it.

TS

Point Blank

There is a PCGR9 with a 30 rounder hanging from it at on this forum's firearms photo's.Look at the very top of page,you will see "firearm photo's" Scroll to letter R(ruger)then scroll to the PCGR9.

Shin-Tao

Ahh. The M995. A surprisingly good carbine. Very light, short, and accurate. Good with 147grn Hydrashocks. Good with Cor-Bon 90grn +P.

I don't believe that any goblin who has had a Hydrashock tossed through his COM has ever pondered the cost of his opponents' weapon.

Tropical Z. What Cal is your pistol? The one I fired was a .45ACP, worked great.