High capacity magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Califo

Due the recent federal court ruling Brownells was shipping Glock standard magazines (13 & 15 round, etc) to California as of last night.
Buds gun shop, MidwayUSA, and Midsourh Shooters Supply were NOT, yet.

HighValleyRanch

Due the recent federal court ruling Brownells was shipping Glock standard magazines (13 & 15 round, etc) to California as of last night.
Buds gun shop, MidwayUSA, and Midsourh Shooters Supply were NOT, yet.

i'm in CA. What court rulling was that? I know that the high capacity ban was on hold due to court challenge. Was there a decision to this? Or some other ruling?

Found it!
"The sweeping decision by San Diego-based U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez declared unconstitutional a section of Proposition 63, approved by the state’s voters in 2016 after several mass shootings, which forbids possession of gun magazines that hold more than 10 rounds."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/gun-rights-groups-celebrate-win-as-judge-cuts-down-californias-ban-on-high-capacity-magazines/2019/04/01/0dc5830e-549d-11e9-9136-f8e636f1f6df_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f10ca2a02d7e

Last edited:

gbran

I bought 5 mags my Glocks, 3-15's and 2-12's from armsunlimited.com Sunday evening. They are located in Las Vegas.

JDBerg

The ruling is headed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, hopefully it won’t get overturned.

I don’t think the LGS’s out here will be selling “large cap” mags any time soon, most of the ones I’m familiar with are loaded with 10 round mags.

It’s also time to declare the bullcrap CDOJ roster unconstitutional!

rpseraph

I'll be the first to say that there is no such thing as High Capacity magazines :D Just magazines, haha. I had a 'friend' in CA that was excited to get 'big clips' for his guns.

SATRP

More hostile to Amendment II is CA's handgun roster. It's a blatant violation of Amendment II and interstate commerce.

The handgun roster is illogical. It allegedly divines handgun safety, yet it excludes the US Military and law enforcement. Hence, by logical inference, CA DOJ supports soldiers and cops carrying unsafe weapons.

Why should cops & the US Military be excluded from micro stamping, which has denied new model semis to Californians? CA law enforcement agencies should insist upon complying with nonexistent technology. It would be a tremendous benefit in forensic analysis of officer involved shootings.

SATRP

Good Morning HighValleyRanch,

CA DOJ's handgun roster is another increment in incremental gun control with the end game being confiscation.

CA DOJ's handgun roster restrains legitimate trade thus creating a monopoly for the few who'll own the semiauto market is CA...as long as they do not modify their products. It denies competition by excluding new models that do not comply with nonexistent technology.

How many DOJ certified safe handguns have accidentally killed another? Why, that'd be impossible because the roster prevents guns from accidentally discharging.

Guns do not accidentally discharge. The can be negligently discharged. Nothing can prevent an negligent discharge except training and knowledge.

There is no reasonable or logical justification for the roster.

Jdin8455

Pardon my ignorance, but if a Federal judge deemed these laws against the Constitution, why is it only benefiting California, and not any state with these laws? Because he's a district judge? (I'm in Maryland...)

SATRP said:
The handgun roster is illogical. It allegedly divines handgun safety, yet it excludes the US Military and law enforcement. Hence, by logical inference, CA DOJ supports soldiers and cops carrying unsafe weapons.
Even more illogical, if the intent is safety, is the fact that a different finish on the same firearm requires a separate test, approval, and listing. Take, for example, a Rock Island Armory 1911. Their full-size model in blue is on the roster. The exact same firearm with a nickel-plated finish requires a new (expensive) test and listing.

And, since the "safety" requirements have been revised since the 1911s on the list were approved, NO new 1911 models can be added. So if any 1911 maker with a gun or two on the list wanted to introduce a pistol in a different color -- any color other than the one they have listed -- they can't. Same gun, different can of paint. So sorry -- not approved.

Marco Califo

There is a preponderance of 5 shot revolvers on the list but not 6 guns. I think the 6th round requires a hammer/firing pin safety not required for the 5's. The ancient S&W Model 10's, that at one time many LEOs and armed guard companies used, are prohibited. But I can buy an EAA Windicator (snub 6) because it has a safety. But cannot get the same gun in 357?!?

Last edited:
Rainer Arms was getting so many orders for 30 round AR magazines it shut down there billing software. I think they started shipping to Cali the evening the ruling came out.

HighValleyRanch

There is a preponderance of 5 shot revolvers on the list but not 6 guns. I think the 6th round requires a hammer/firing pin safety not required for the 5's. The ancient S&W Model 10's, that at one time many LEOs and armed guard companies used, are prohibited. But I can buy an EAA Windicator (snub 6) because it has a safety. But cannot get the same gun in 357?!?

The 6 shot Kimber K6 is on the roster. I just picked mine up today. Even the new 3" model is on roster. But the clerk (store is Kimber dealer) said that they have stopped production for a month, so they cannot be ordered until end of April, early June.

DaleA

So if any 1911 maker with a gun or two on the list wanted to introduce a pistol in a different color -- any color other than the one they have listed -- they can't.

So just hold on here!!!

CALIFORNIA is DISCRIMINATING against certain firearms based SOLELY on the COLOR of their finish???

Say it ain't so Joe!!!
(Help me to the veranda Molly, I feel faint!)

riffraff

Funny in my 2019 firearms purchase plans I had budgeted for a small pile of various model rifle and handgun mags, amounting to maybe 50 mags across what I own. I got a little ancy last month about potential panic buying screwing up good prices and availability so used a credit card instead of waiting for the cash injection I get this time of year.. glad I did that now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.