Hi Standard HD Military

RichardWA

I have a chance to pick up a Hi Standard Model HD Military from the lady across the road. She said this was her Husband's gun and she doesn't want it any more.

I have no Idea of what it's value is, and I don't want to cheat her so I thought I would ask your opinions.

From the serial # of 2237xx I think it was made around 1948. The blueing is pretty worn with a tiny bit of surface rust. The bore is nice, seems to function well. I ran ten rounds through it, seems accurate.

Any info and a value on this gun will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

HPIM1515.jpg

well, there is supposed to be a picture????:mad: don't know where it went:confused:

Last edited:

SouthpawShootr

I don't know much about them, but my dad bought three of them in the last year, all pristine. The most expensive was $400. One, with just a bit of wear at the muzzle, he purchased for $250. They're excellent pistols. I don't know about parts availability though. The successor to High Standard is operating in Texas and produced some parts for some models.

Walther22lr

Here is mine. Had this one since the 70's. I replaced the original 6" barrel with a 4" and I find that it balances really well now. Very accurate too. No finish on it except the barrel.
attachment.php

I don't think I could get $50 for mine (no, it is not for sale).

Since the one you are looking at has a lot of issues regarding rust and such, I would say $150 to $200 in its current condition would be fair.

RichardWA

Having some trouble with my pictures tonight! Hopefully its there now.
I saw a few of these on Gunbroker but as always the prices were high and nobody was bidding.
I was hoping it would be worth around $200, because after last weeks new toys the wife is a little worried. She is starting to mutter some nonsense about having enough guns!:D

darkgael

HD info

Tom Dance has a section about the "Hammer" guns, the HB, HA, HD, HE, USA HD and HD Military models, in his book High Standard: A Collector's Guide to the Hamden and Hartford Target Pistols.
With the addition of adjustable sights and standard bluing, the HD Military was actually an enhanced version of the USA HD which was the basic military gun. It was produced in "rather large volumes" and is the most common of all the early models. A very popular gun.
Pete