Hi-Standard Dura-Matic M-101; buy or pass?

PatientWolf

The pistol apears to be in good condition. So I am wondering is it a bargain, is it the going rate, or is it overpriced? Also I loved shooting a Victor growing up, but is the Dura-Matic a "buy" or "Pass"?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

JN01

I think you mean Hi-Standard, and it would be hard to say whether you got a bargain or not since you didn't state a price, nor can anyone see what condition it is in as there are no photos.

EDIT: photo attatchment appeared after I posted.

PatientWolf

Thanks JN01, you are correct. I meant Hi-Standard. My pic did not attach the first time, so I reattached it, showing the price at $250.

JN01

I Googled "Hi-Standard Dura-Matic M-101 for sale" and found several in the $400-450 range. The one you displayed looks nice, how is the bore?

Skans

I think that's a good price for that gun, if it's in good mechanical condition and it's cosmetically about 90%. They are good shooting guns - I have a similar one that is cosmetically "ugly", but shoots every bit as good as my Ruger Mark II.

GeoJelly

This appears to be one of the later versions of the Hi-Standards - I think the grip frame may be plastic. I have one of the older (circa 1956) Sport King's which is a fabulous handgun. Very well-built and very reliable. The magazines are built like tanks and last forever. Biggest downside is the rear sight is on the slide so that costs some accuracy. Biggest upside is reliability and very easy to disassemble and clean. My older SK has a push-button barrel release - this newer version appears to have a thumb-screw maybe.

Bottom line - I would pass on this one. A Ruger 22/45 will be pretty close reliability-wise with more accuracy potential - and Gander Mtn has 22/45's at around $300 around here...

James K

Member In Memoriam
The Duramatic is not the Sport King. It is an inexpensive gun, made to a price to compete with the Ruger Standard Model. The entire grip frame is made of plastic. That is not necessarily bad, and the many problems with the Duramatic did not arise from the use of plastic. The gun is simple and easy to manufacture, but functioning depends on a delicate balance of recoil spring vs firing pin spring that gets out of whack very quickly. I have tried (note that word) to repair dozens of them, with only limited success.

After H-S went out of business, the design was taken up by Colt, first as the Cadet, then, after they found that trade name was not available, as the Colt .22. Colt gave up on it, and Beretta bought the design. They now market it as the Neos. I have heard nothing bad about that gun, so I assume Beretta's engineers have solved the problems.

If you want an interesting collector's item, it might be worth that money. If you want a good .22 pistol, buy a Ruger.

Jim

saleen322

As others have said, this was a plinker grade High Standard made in the early 1970s. The price asked is about full retail for the pistol. Not ripping anyone off but certainly no bargain. Most High Standard guys, including me, would very likely pass on it.