Hi-Power

headroom

Which hi power is more reliable, i'm thinking the 9mm over the 40 because 9mm is the original cartridge? How common are aftermarket parts compared to those for a 1911, as in things like different hammers and safeties and whatnot? One more thing, is it possible to disable the magazine disconnnect?

Tom B

Cyl. & Slide carries the most custom parts for the BHP that I have seen. Hammers,trigger,safeties,etc... Their trigger eliminates the mag safety or you can remove it with the stock trigger. I own both cals but I prefer the 9mm.

VictorLouis

I discussed this on another board recently. The concensus seems to be that the .40 is just fine in this gun. Among the major designs that were only 9mm, and revamped for the 40, the BHP seems to be strongly re-engineered. It is more picky with regard to ammo it shoots well, but is quite reliable all around.
The disconnect is fairly easy to remove, if you're familiar with "detail" stripping some other handguns. If not, I cannot imagine a gunsmith charging more than $15-$20 to do it for you. But, one may not want to do it, over concern (unfounded) with civil liability. My pull improved dramatically after removing mine. I may try a C&S trigger out myself. There is no provision for the disconnect with it.

[This message has been edited by VictorLouis (edited May 01, 2000).]

Richard

I prefer the 9mm caliber to the 40 S&W. Why, I find it cheaper to shoot and I trust the caliber. Since owning a Glock 27 I am starting to like the 40 S&W better. Now to the High-Power (BHP)questions. If you find ammunition that your BHP 40 S&W likes its is accurate, reliable, and soft shooting. Any negatives? Yes, it has a stiff recoil spring. I have a Browning High-Power, FN 49, Glock 23, Glock 27, and a conversion kit for a TZ75. The BHP is the best 40 I own. Regards, Richard.

CCV

No experience with the Hi-Power in .40 but my 9mm (vintage 1982)BHP is the most reliable handgun I have ever owned. This includes Glocks and revolvers!