Hi-Power with thumb safety removed??

Carbon_15

I was looking through the gun classifiedes in the local paper this afternoon and ran across what looked to be a good deal. A Belgum Hi-power, Blue w/ wood grips, quoted as 95% condition for $400. I read the ad one more time to make sure I wasnt missing anything and found this "Thumb safety removed for better trigger operation". WHAT? Those older hi-powers had fairly light triggers, then add in the lightening from use over the years and you probly have about a 3-4lb single action pull. Personaly, I dont use safetys unless its a single action and I'm carrying for defence. If I'm just at the range and there is a lull in the action to switch guns or take a break, I just clear the chamber drop the mag. Follow the rules and it will never go off...if it does its downrange anyway. Carry is a different story.
But what I'm wondering is how removing the safety would make the trigger better? And how would you find a gunsmith to even do it? I understand removing the magazine disconect safety is a common thing among hi-power owners, but the thumb safety. Did I miss a meeting?

Coltdriver

Carbon 15

I suspect an uninformed seller really means the magazine safety has been removed.

This is a safety attached to the trigger that prevents operation of the trigger if the magazine is removed.

You could take one look and tell. If the thumb safety is in place, it will be obvious.

If the magazine safety has been removed you can tell by removing the magazine, cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger. If the hammer falls with the magazine out, the safety has been removed. Since you are probably dealing with an uninformed seller, do verify the chamber is empty!

If you don't want it, let me know. I am interested in finding a shooter and was looking to find one for under $400 but I am running out of patience!

Just to verify what you have you might record the serial number and go to fnhipower.com