Hi-Power, T-series question ?

Pahoo

A freind of mine is looking to sell a T-series Browning Hi-Power. What does the T-series have that the others don't. Perhaps better said, is what's the difference. Thanks !! :)

Be Safe !!!

Amin Parker

I have a T series that i love dearly as well as a C series. The T series was made before 1970/71 when the C series came into being.

The T has a ring hammer as opposed to the spur of the C and had plastic grips and a lanyard loop.

Like all Brownings its put together perfectly and beautifully made. I have fired that pistol so many times and carried it for so many years that its a part of my soul.

It will never fail you. Unfortunately i cannot give you a price as i am not in the US.

The Browning High Power, true style never shouts.

dogtown tom

The "T"'s were just an earlier run of the same model of HiPower. In 1964 FN changed from a numerical only serial number to one with the letter "T" as the first character. ("T" being the product code for the Hi Power). In 1969 FN again changed the numbering system to use the last two digits of the year, followed by a new product code...the letter "C". So a Hi Power made in 1969 would have a serial # of 69Cxxxxx. As there were a number of frames already assigned "T" serial numbers, but not yet assembled, FN continued to use the "T" serial numbers for several years even after they began producing "C"'s. Occassionally you will see a post on a gun forum where someone believes their HP is uber rare because the serial number is not shown on Brownings Arms "Date Your Gun" database. (FN and Browning have never been very good about recordkeeping)

The "T" & "C" series are identical in quality, fit and finish.

Amin Parker I have a T series that i love dearly as well as a C series. The T series was made before 1970/71 when the C series came into being.
The earliest "C" series was manufactured in 1969 (serial #'s 69Cxxxx) and had ring hammers. (I own two of them:D)

The T has a ring hammer as opposed to the spur of the C and had plastic grips and a lanyard loop.
Almost all of the "T"'s and "C"'s imported into the USA by Browning Arms had blonde or honey colored walnut grips. A "T" or "C" series with plastic grips and a lanyard loop is most likely a military contract HP.

Most of the folks bit by a Hi Power are bit not by the ring or spur itself, but by the shaft of the hammer. And most of the bitten are 1911 fans trying to take as high a hold as possible....like they do with their 1911.

Skans

The "T" & "C" series are identical in quality, fit and finish.

Supposedly the "T" series had the highest level of quality control. That being said, I have a "C" series (early 70's production) that is absolutely amazing in fit, finish and smoothness of operation. It has the best trigger of all the guns I've got and the slide feels like its literaly riding on thousands of tiny ball bearings - I've never felt anything like this in another gun.

Amin Parker

Dogtown Tom.

Thats some good info. I have never seen a 69 C series and always thus assumed the T was manufactured until the earliest C i have seen. Either way, its nice owning both C and T. I also have a late model High Power.

My T series has had an interesting life. Since it had the lanyard loop its been made for a military/government contract like you said. Gunshops in my area will always call me when a Belgian High Power enters their stock.

I was in a gunshop when a lady walks in and asks if she may hand in a pistol that belonged to her grandfather, he had passed a while before and she was getting rid of his things. The owner of the store said he will assist her and opened the bag containing the pistol, i naturally walked off because i do not like listening to other peoples business when i heard him calling my name. I turned around and he looked at me and told me to get my butt over there at once.

There on the counter was a neglected, lanyard looped, plastic gripped beauty. It was instant love.

Thats not all. The gunshop owner told me i could have it for free since he never paid for it!!! ( im a good customer). I could not take it for free and gave him 700 Rand ( about $100 )

When i got it i shot the crap out of it and then had it re blued with a nice matt finish.

It has saved my life during a robbery a few months after that.

I have 25 pistols at last count which include many modern ones, but my Browning High Powers are the ones for my safety.

My T series is my favourite gun period. It is my beloved friend at shooting matches, my guardian when carried and my angel watching over me when im sleeping.

Browning High Power: true style does not shout

celtgun

Hi Power Hi Class

There just isn't anything like the P-35. Take a totaly inexperienced shooter, hand him one to shot and he will always(in my experience) like the way it handles. Isreali Special Ops uses it, what more do you need to know.
Perfection? As close as it gets. I own and shoot a variety of quality handguns. And I am fairly skilled with them.
If my best friend called me to help him, my Hi-Power would be along. And several Meggar magazines.
I call her "Old Never Fails".

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is." James Thurber

jaydubya

"The T has a ring hammer as opposed to the spur of the C and had plastic grips and a lanyard loop.

Partly true and partly not. My T-series, purchased in 1968 and carried as my personal weapon on several Vietnam tours, had a ring hammer, but wood stocks and no lanyard loop. That is the configuration I have always seen for unmodified T-series BHPs. By the way, the name comes from the fact that its serial number begins with the letter "T".

Someone else said the ring hammer tends to hammer bite less. Stephen Camp disagrees with that statement on his website (www.hipowersandhandguns.com), however mine never bit me.

My T still has its original blueing that you could lose yourself in, but has otherwise been extensively modified. I had C&S's SFS kit installed (a wonderful improvement), and put on a set of Crimson Trace laser grips (ditto). I shoot it more or less weekly, standard pressure only.

Cordially, Jack