Hi-Power, Hi-Cap Semi-Auto Options?

5whiskey

So the title says just that. I'm doing research for a purchase I will probably make months (maybe even a year)from now as I have limited funds and my firearms purchases are deliberate. So I'm looking at the possibilities of a 10mm, 9x23 (what I REALLY would like), or any similar powered cartridge with common factory loads North of 550 ft/lbs and approaching 600 or greater, with greater potential through handloading.

My preferences are a pistol available in the $700ish or less price range, at least a 12 round capacity (preferably 15 or greater), firing a cartridge with greater potential than .357sig. I am not against having to purchase a base pistol and do a conversion later on, but I would prefer the base pistol to be less than $600 that fires a round that is stout in it's own right.

My preliminary research has lead me to believe that a Glock 20 is the answer to my question. I am not a Glock fan. Yes I've put nearly 1000 rounds through Glock pistols, and I respect their potential as combat weapons, but I don't care for their ergos or for striker fired pistols.

I also don't care for 1911's in the 10mm platform because of past failures (most of which won't hold 12+ rounds anyway). I'm also dubious of the Witness 10mm because of early reliability issues. I want a durable pistol capable of handling 10K plus full house loads without fears of failure (which is what draws me to the Glock 20). Because of this, the 1911 or Witness platform is out of the question unless someone can convince me that someone provides something dead-nuts reliable that meets my other criteria.

So now I ask hear for ideas regarding both platform and caliber, with my budget in mind. Any ideas are welcome. I know it's a tall order and I've probably researched all options but I ask you guys for ideas.

cslinger

It's really hard to beat a Glock 10mm here.

Maybe an HK running .45 super?

But honestly the Glock offerings seem to be the best option when price, durability, support, reliability and accessories are all factored in

Love em or hate em ole' Gaston did seem to find that handgun sweetspot if you will. I say this as a Glock owner but not a Glock fanboy.

rock185

Within your parameters, I can't think of anything more robust, reliable and overall practical than the Glock 20.....

Walt Sherrill

Witness offers a polymer-framed 10mm compact that is reasonably-priced and I've not heard many complaints about that model. It feels better in the hand to many folks than the Glock 10mm.

Last edited:

Big Shrek

Well, I own a Glock 20SF, and it's pretty dang near perfect...
altho, the G40 would be even better for Hunting/Home Defense.

That being said, there is ONE other 10mm pistol in your price range,
if you were to shop carefully and patiently for a good deal.
the Star Megastar 10.

Just got it's brother, a Megastar 45 for $400
about 6 months ago, and it can shoot .45-Super if you
put in a 18-lb recoil spring :)

It is truly a Beast in size, just a hair smaller than a DEagle.
But it's also VERY comfortable to shoot :)

Downside, it's no longer made, but all you'll ever need are new springs
or extra mags ;) Colored grips are still available on Ebay...

And here's what they look like in stainless! (done as Blued also)
latest

5whiskey

Ehh I forgot about 45 super. The USP is an option then. A little more, but being a future purchase I can just save a little longer I suppose. I still lean another direction because of capacity/size, but its an option I hadn't thought of so thanks.

That megastar looks interesting. Not dying to own one if its dang near the size of a desert eagle though. Still looks kind of cool.

Walt I've been thinking on that polymer witness 10. I like CZ patterned pistols so that would be my obvious choice were I not concerned with their past reputation. I still may roll the dice. If there are issues I've at least heard their CS has improved.

I'm almost positive I'll wind up with a 10mm, with a 9x25 Dillon barrel to be purchased later. 124 grains chugging along at nearly 1800 fps sounds like fun.

Last edited:

Walt Sherrill

5whiskey said:
Walt I've been thinking on that polymer witness 10. I like CZ patterned pistols so that would be my obvious choice were I not concerned with their past reputation. I still may roll the dice. If there are issues I've at least heard their CS has improved.

The biggest problems with CS at Witness seemed to be tied to some problems they had with full-size metal-framed guns... cracks in the slide. Tanfoglio has since redesigned the slides.

I'm not a big fan of EAA or Witness, but I've not heard much about the polymer-framed guns. If there are problems, I suspect you can find it here.

I've had a 6-7 Witnesses over the years, always bought used. I've only had problems with one, an older Witness Sport Long Slide in .45.

The problems were two-fold: 1) a cracked barrel (around the chamber area), and 2) a failed super-sight. I had to replace both at my expense... but that's the risk you take with some used guns. The others were trouble-free.

For me, if I had to have a 10mm gun, it would probably be a Witness rather than a Glock, as the large Glocks (.45 or 10mm) just don't fit my hand.

Skans

The Megastar is actually not stainless. Star's version of hard-chrome, "Starvel" is the finish on that gun. I have he Megastar 45 (comes in 10mm, but those are tough to find). It is big, not as big as the DE, but a chunk of steel definitely. I believe it holds 14 rounds of 45. It is rock-solid reliable. Not for concealed carry.

Walt Sherrill

Starvel is electroless nickel. I've had several Stars with that finish.

Not quite as good as hard chrome, but pretty darned good.

Concealed carry may require a trailer hitch. (One of the standing jokes about the older steel-framed Stars was that if you ran out of ammo you could just drop the gun on the bad guy's foot, and he'd be out of action.)