Hi Power drop free mag problem

sigmund

I removed the mag interlock on my Browning Hi-Power, aided by some good how-to advise here. Can't remember who posted it, and can't find the thread.

Removing the interlock also improved the trigger pull, as many people said would happen. But the removal had no effect on another problem, which is that an empty mag will not drop free when the mag release button is pushed. Anyone got any other ideas on how to fix this? This seems to be a general problem with Hi-Powers. Thanks.

Wheelgun

Never had a problem with mine, but my mags are of the "mouse trap" variety. From what I have heard, removing the mag safety usually takes care of the problem. Does it do it with all mags? I know there are some bad manufacturers out there. You may want to hop over to the hipower forum. Those people are pretty quick to reply, and know there stuff.

-Wheelgun

Walt Sherrill

It certainly made a big difference on my Hi-Power. This makes me think that something is out of spec: roughness inside the mag well on the Hi-Power, or magazines that are mis-shaped in some way. They should drop free.

What kind of grips do you have on the Hi-Power? If you have the magazine safety removed and the mags still won't drop free then the magazine is probably coming into contact with the grips on the inside and hanging.

Alternatively, some aftermarket magazines that are roughly finished (USA) will hang up just because the mag-well of a Hi-Power can be a tight fit. I'd try a variety of magazines and see if the problem might be related to a specific magazine. If you have the 17rd. South African mags try using one of those. If it won't drop free with those magazines, then you are hanging up on something and the grips would be the first place to look.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. It's possible that the sear spring's bumping the magazine. Also, as has been noted, some stocks will come in contact with the magazine on some guns. The one's I've seen this happen with are Pachmayer's.

Best.

Coltdriver

I have recently acquired my first Hi Power.

Its a 68 T in blue.

It came with one Inglis mag. I bought two 17 rounders from CDNN.

The Inglis will not drop free, has to be pulled out even though it is a gentle tug that gets it out.

The 17 Rounders fall right out.

The mag safety has not been removed from mine yet.

johnwill

sigmund,

It sounds like you have either a magazine or gun problem, there is nothing that should be holding the magazines in at this point. After removing the magazine disconnect from my FEG HP, any decent magazine shoots out like a missle, full or empty.

sigmund

Thanks to all for helping. The problem is not with mags. Same thing happens with factory 13s, military 17s, and MecGar 10s.

Took off the grips, which are factory wood, and mags still hang up.

As Stephen suggested, the mag appears to be binding on the lower part of the sear spring. I'll try playing with that.

gryphon

I had that problem with my FEG. The factory magazine would not drop out, but the Browning 10 rounders would(via the spring bar at the bottom of the mag).

Now all the magazines drop free because I got the magazine safety removed.

Other than that, and what has been posted by others here, don't know what to say.