Hi-power detective model

Greg Bell

I see a FM Hi-power detective for $270. It has a heavy, crappy trigger but seems nice otherwise. Will most of the usual gunsmithing services work on these guns? I would like an extended saftey and perhaps some throating, etc? Any experience?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Greg, it is my understanding that Fabrica Militar built guns under license from Browning/FN and the design is identical. The FM pistols have a good reputation, for reliability and durability, though are not as nicely finished as the Belgian counterparts. I'm told that all the aftermarket parts for the Browning High Power can be installed on the FM pistols.

I imagine that any gunsmith who can work on a Browning can do equally good work on the FM. You have to expect to pay he same prices, though.

Best regards,
Johnny

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

railroader

I used to have a Fm detective. It was very reliable but not very accurate. I have a full size Fm now and it is much more accurate. Also the recoil spring is actually a spring within a spring so replacement might be kind of a hassle.Fn parts do interchange with Fm hi-powers. One last note, the guy I sold the detective to said the slide developed a hairline crack.