Hi-Power clones?

headbangerJD

I have been interested in buying a Browning Hi-Power for some time now but it is priced a little too high for me. Are there any clones or very similar pistols out there?

Crankylove

I had an FEG that I gave to my brother. I picked it up for less than half of what I paid for my '72 Hi-Power, but they are visually identical. The FEG had a few machine marks on it, but it shoots great, and is every bit as reliable and accurate as my Hi-Power........but I didn't need two, and love the Hi-Power more.........a fact which my brother appreciated.

celtgun

Argentine HPs

The Argentine HPs are excellant pistols, they have a great rep. I have owned 2 and they were 100% reliable with quality magazines. Meggar and KLM can't be beat.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

Good shooting will make up for poor gear, but superior gear will not make up for poor shooting. Jeff Cooper

bald1

+1 on the Argentine (FM) pistols. Here's my circa 1992 FM Hi-Power M90 Detective. Bought it NIB in '94 from a local gun shop. I've hand stippled it and modified it with some Cylinder & Slide parts. It's been reblued too. Grips are Spegel.

Rock solid reliable. I use Wolff CZ75 compact 1lb recoil springs in it.

FM_Detective9mm.jpg

Addendum: In case it isn't clear, FM makes licensed Hi-Powers on FN equipment left after a military contract expired. Parts are interchangeable with Browning Hi-Powers. The Detective is a unique variant with a shorter barrel and associated parts (e.g. recoil guide and spring, shorter slide, etc.) The later FM M95 pistols reflect FN Mk III characteristics.

Last edited:

lee n. field

FEG makes some cheap clones i have two and love them.
There is also a Argantina clone.
The FEG will go for 250-350.

Made. I read somewhere that FEG is out of business. Internet hearsay, YMMV.

Arcus, which I think is Bulgarian, also made or makes a Hi Power clone.

SouthpawShootr

Made. I read somewhere that FEG is out of business. Internet hearsay, YMMV.

Oh that's true. FEG is still around - from what I understand they have their hands in lots of stuff over there - but they're out of the firearms business. This is what did in the excellent Charles Daly Hi-Power (sort of) copy. I have an FEG PJK-9HP, which was considered as close as you could get. Virtually indistinguishable from my Browning until you look closely. The FED has some flaws in the finish that aren't there with a Browning or FN.

I have an Arcus as well. Supposed to be a copy with a marked departure in the external appearance of the gun. These are very well regarded. Mine is obviously well made and is outstanding. Far as I know the Arcus is still out there. I believe it's the Arcus 94 (mine's in the safe right now). Arcus also makes DA/SA variants that resemble S&W 2nd generation pistols.

It's unfortunately that most of these copies duplicate the Hi-Power magazine safety so well.

briandg

Buffing the fronts of the magazines to a mirror finish ane a few other cleanups in that system eliminates any problems with the mag safety.

MoBart

I have always thought the hi power was the best feeling and handling pistol I ever picked up. I found a great deal on an old Belgun Browning, it shot great and I had it for a long time. Traded it like a retard, and replaced it with an FM a couple years later, still have that one, still shoot it all the time, still don't have a single problem with it. ITs ugly as my sister in law, but it never quits. She doesn't either but tis a good trait in the gun, lol. When they are available, they are worth way more then what the are sold for, I'd buy at least one if you find them.

MoBart

Never owned or shot one of the dailys but handled one and it seemed solid and well made, never heard anything bad about them. Under $400 is about normal for the ones I have seen, and that isn't many. I'd like to have one if I could run accross one when I had the money. Maybe I'll get lucky one day.

briandg

It's amazing that this gun has such ardent followers, and is so great, but has so few real owners. I have never met an owner.

BTW, I own one of the FM brazilian ones in what looks like a milspec package, black finish, fixed sights, so forth. Finish is what would be expected on milspec. Fit is a bit loose. Slugging the barrel found it at 356-357, not 355. Accuracy isn't particularly stellar, and lead bullets that aren't hard enough keyhole.

BUT, this is, as I figure, NOT the sporting model, but a genuine military contract gun. I'm not looking for a beauty contestent or a match gun, it is a hole punch for bad guys, and that is all. It will do that all day.

Last edited:

old bear

headbanger JD

If there is any way you can wait, save the money and get a real Browning P-35 High Power. As good as some of the copies may be they are still copies, and soon or later you will get the itch to have a real H.P.

tekarra

If you are looking for close copies of the HP, be wary with FEGs. There are several FEG variants, one is close to the HP while others are not. One model is more like a S&W than an HP. That is not to say they are not good shooters though. You may want to check the info on www.hungariae.com.

Dave R

Right. The FEG model that is a clone of the HP is the PJK-9HP. There are other look alikes.

I have a PJK-9HP, and a Browning extractor and firing pin fit perfectly when I replaced those parts. I have put about a bazillion rounds through that gun. Its a sweet gun for the money.

ir3e971

My FEG Hi Power is good to go. It is a favorite of mine. Exceedingly reliable.

It was good enough to put better sights on, new grips, and re-parkerize.

Before

FEG Then.jpg

and After.

FEG now.jpg

Second photo is kinda blurry. It was done with a cell phone.

Last edited:

docpadds

I have my Browning and an FEG clone. The FEG is not nearly as fine a firearm but it sure works well, shoots well and i would happily rely on it and know it will work when i pick it up.

My 11 year old daughter loves the FEG more then anything else i have, she has shown me up in the back yard a few times with her clone.